What would you do?

DS is 4 (almost 5) and since last night he's had a constant fever fluxuating from 101-103 that WILL NOT break even with tylenol and motrin. I took him to the dr. today and they ruled it off as a common cold yet his tonsils are swollen. Would you take him to the hospital for a second opinion? He has never in his life got a fever that lasted this long. I:m really getting worried

poetress1218

Asked by poetress1218 at 10:31 PM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would take him to the ER tonight if his fever is that high. Good Luck
    jsimonds220

Answer by jsimonds220 at 10:34 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Mine started a fever like that on Christmas night that lasted 3 days. I took him to the doctor who ruled it viral and told me to continue alternating Tylenol and Motrin. By day 4 it was nearly normal and gone by day 5 (when he developed a very bad phlegmy cough)

but you are the mommy and if you are still worried, do what you think is best.
    mom2alan

Answer by mom2alan at 10:34 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Also, my BF's daughter and my niece had the same fever, it's been going around here.
    mom2alan

Answer by mom2alan at 10:37 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• sounds like either strep or tonsilitis, take him to the ER
    any doctor should have taken a throat culture,, i would highly recommend switching doctors
    LogansMama09

Answer by LogansMama09 at 10:40 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I would not take him to the ER, a fever for 1 day is not cause for concern. It can take 3 or 4 days for a fever to break. If he is acting lethargic or unlike himself, then worry. But keep alternating the fever meds and cooling him down with a lukewarm bath or washcloths on the back of his neck or on his tummy. Keep him hydrated and let the fever do it's job. A fever is sometimes the bodies way of getting rid of a virus.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:01 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I would take him to the ER.
    No fever should be that high and last that long after giving him things to treat it.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:17 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I would not bring him tonight. The ER is the best place to pick up further infections. I do agree with the poster that said a fever for 1 day is not something to be hugely concerned about. (The only way I would be is if the child was less than 1 year in age due to the ease and quickness of dehydration in a child that size.) The swelling in the tonsils can occur not just from strep or tonsillitis it can also be there from congestion dripping down the back of the throat and increased mouth breathing at night.
    Be sure that he is kept hydrated and gets plenty of rest.
    I also agree with the poster that said you should think about switching doctors. If you are honestly comfortable with the doctors that you have for you child you would not feel the need to come here after seeing them today asking if you should get another opinion.
    Mommie_Mommie

Answer by Mommie_Mommie at 11:48 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• What you were told in the office would have been enough of an answer and you would trust it enough to not have the doubts you are so very clearly having.
    See how he is doing in the morning. If you are still concerned I would bring him to the ER then. (There are typically less people there in the daytime than the night due to doctor’s offices being open.)
    Keep up with the alternating the meds every 4 hours. (I have even done them every 3 ½ hours if the fever was that stubborn.) and the fluids. Good luck. Let us know how he is.
    <3
    Mommie_Mommie

• I would take him to the ER. My middle son kept running a fever and I couldn't get it to break and took him to the doctor and they also said it was just a cold. Well after another day of fever not breaking I called the doctor again and they said to give it more time because it was just a cold. I decided to take him to ER and they did a chest X Ray and found out he had pneumonia. He ended up being in the hospital for 2 days over it.

Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 9:55 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Call the pediatrician AGAIN. Better safe than SORRY.
    Anonymous