What do you feed your kid?

I know that not all moms make 5 course meals every night, and for a SAHM that's three meals a day that have to still be healthy, even when you don't have the time. What kinds of things are less-mess, relatively healthy staples that you feed your kids (especially toddlers?) Thanks!

sweetphoenix529

Asked by sweetphoenix529 at 10:36 PM on Jan. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• breakfast - cereal with milk, a cup of juice or maybe a poptart if I'm having a bad morning LOL

snack - goldfish crackers

lunch - they have been requesting PB&J sandwiches since we received some homemade jelly from a friend :) so that on whole wheat bread with apple sauce or half a banana

snack - fruit snacks

dinner - some meat, a vegetable, and some sort of starch. like last night was baked chicken, green beans, and seasoned potatoes.

cups of juice or milk throughout the day too.

my kids are 2 & 3
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 10:39 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• well im not a good cook so most my stuff is only semi-homemade at best lmao! but i stick to the basics, rice(ALL flavors), peas, corn, (frozen or canned), mac and cheese, chicken tenders(sometimes homemade), we all love fish(baked with shake n bake seasoning), they get spaghettios maybe once a week and a hot dog about once a week, lots of bananas, oatmeal, yogurt(quickest breakfast ever), and nutrigrain bars!
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 10:42 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• My son is 2 1/2
    Breakfast - Yogurt mixed in dry cheerios or rice krispies, some days a banana & a cup of milk
    Snack - gold fish or pb crackers
    Lunch - PB sandwich, or banana, or apple & PB
    Snack - Crackers or triscuits
    Dinner - whatever hub and I are eating. If it is something I know he won't like... chicken nuggets, fish sticks, mac & cheese, corn, spaghetti... the list could go on & on

He gets water ONLY though out the day. NEVER gets juice, doesn't need the un-necessary sugar. NEVER gets fruit snacks or candy... rarely will get a cookie or two after dinner - IF he eats his dinner
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 10:47 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• This is mine:
    Breakfast is frozen waffle, pancake or french toast and Silk.
    Sometimes a snack of cheerios.
    Lunch is a hot dog, grilled cheese or leftovers.
    Goldfish for a snack.
    Dinner....whatever we have in the house that I can piece together- mac n cheese, those little cups of peas and green beans, the stuff I try to cook...
    sweetphoenix529

Answer by sweetphoenix529 at 10:50 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I'm not a health freak so I have no problem feeding my kids chicken nuggets (which we always cook in the oven), fries (also baked in the oven) and mac & cheese.
    My kids are 9, 8, 7 and 3 and they get their own breakfast every morning (usually cereal but they can also make toast, English muffins, oatmeal and can have fruit if we have it).
    The older 3 get lunch at school but at home they usually just make themselves sandwiches (PB&J, turkey and cheese, salami...whatever we have on hand) or they have leftovers from dinner. If they ask and we have it I'll make fish sticks or chicken nuggets, mac & cheese (sometimes from a box, sometimes homemade).
    Dinner is the only meal I really ever cook and it's just whatever. The other day we had chicken and stuffing skillet and then chicken stir fry. My dad made corned beef and cabbage tonight (3yo loved it). And I don't cook every night. Sometimes we have sandwiches for dinner, too.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:05 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Well usually for breakfast my kids eat cereal...my kids love cereal and its really quick and easy, and i give them some fruit with it, like strawberries or peaches or grapes. Then for lunch they have hot dogs, mac n cheese is a big one in our house, grilled cheese, sandwiches, some fruit, like applesauce, or some carrots. dinner time is always hard for me, i really don't enjoy cooking lol. But we have things like Jenny-o turkey, the kids love those, its got a great taste and is soft to chew, or what is really quick and easy is those tyson fun chicken nuggets, they are good for them and quick. Or sometimes its fun to make a pizza together, not always healthy but it can be, just dpends on what you put on it..and then they get some fruit or veggies, ususally corn or green beans at dinner time. And for snacks they eat jello, yogurt, grapes,crackers,fruit snacks, things like that.
    sexy_can_i

Answer by sexy_can_i at 11:14 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I LOVE the weekly menus in the Cooking for Toddlers group here on Cafemom.

Mini whole wheat bagels and whole grain english muffins are awesome vehicles for other foods. :)  Peanut butter and bananas are a favorite around here, too.

Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 11:24 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Breakfast - a banana and either waffles, pancakes, muffins, oatmeal, or cereal
    Snack - cut up fruit or veggies, or popcorn
    Lunch - mac and cheese, sandwiches, chicken nuggets, or leftovers
    *Snack - same as before
    Dinner - whatever is on the meal plan for the night (it's any number of things)

They drink juice and water during the day (their idea of juice, however, is 2/3 water to 1/3 juice) and milk just before bedtime. I have a 3 year old and an 18 month old :)

My keys to keeping it quick and healthy are to make things ahead of time...like, if I'm making pancakes, I'll make a triple batch and freeze a bunch...same with muffins :) I abuse my CrockPot for dinner time. I will cut up a bunch of fruits and veggies at once and portion them out in baggies in the fridge. Feel free to PM me if you'd like :)
    beadingmom17

Answer by beadingmom17 at 11:30 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I have a 6 month old (though she's not eating solids yet), almost 3 year old and a 4 year old. Here's what we had today:
    Breakfast: Cereal w/ extra milk
    Lunch: pb&j (I make sure it use at least jam or preserves as they are better than jellies), yogurt, raisins and a glass of 1/3 juice and 2/3 water
    Dinner: Homemade pulled pork on a bun (which I did in the crockpot) and mixed veggies.

Breakfast is usually always cereal because the kids (and dh!) LOVE it. Lunch I try to mix up the main dish, but the side are usually the same because that's what my kids ask for. Some days we have homemade pizza, chicken nuggets, left overs. My crockpot is used usually every other day. Best invention ever! lol! Some days the kids get snacks, but only if they are asking for them. For snacks they get things like ants on a long (celery with peanut butter and raisins), grapes, carrots, granola bars, or once in a while fruit snacks.
    things_not_sane

Answer by things_not_sane at 12:10 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I could not live without my crock pot!!! I throw in whatever looks good in the am and by 6 pm it is done
    If you have a crock pot and want recipes that are easy you can PM me.
    Otherwise I find it easy to just throw meat and potatoes in the oven. most meats and potatoes take an hour at 350
    last night I did bbq ribs in the crock pot
    Tonight was chedderwurst, potato salad, leftover mashed potatoes for my 5 yr old and french fries
    Monday was meatloaf and mashed potatoes w/peas
    Sunday was boneless chicken breast, boxed au gratin potatoes w/ green beans
    Thursday we will have tator tot hotdish.....I make mine with browned ground beef a bag of frozen mixed veggies and tator tots then top of with a mixture of cream of mushroom soup and a can of water....350 for an hour
    snacks are anything from the cracker section of the grocery store or fruit.
    breakfast is cereal w/juice
    lunch is sandwiches or canned pasta or soup
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 2:53 AM on Jan. 7, 2010