What do they expect him to know in preK?

My son turned 4 a few days ago and will be starting preK in September. I know its a long way from now, but I was just wondering what do they expect him to already know besides his colors and alphabet. I'm a stay at home mom and we play lots of learning games. I just don't want him to be behind the other kids who have been in daycare since birth. Is there a way to find out what the school will expect from him?

Shyma

Asked by Shyma at 10:40 PM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I believe that they are supposed to be able to write their own name
    Anonymous

• you can go to the school and ask. When i had my son in early pre k they were teaching them to recognize the letters and learning their address/phone and writting their names. He started pre k this year
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:44 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• he can do that... he can also write a few other words and sound out some larger ones
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 10:44 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• make sure he is fully potty trained =) I was lucky i got my son wiping his own butt over the summer.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:46 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I am a 4 yr old preschool teacher and there is very little they need to know for preschool, we teach them what they need to know to go to Kindergarten. The main thing is that they are COMPLETELY potty trained (they have to be able to do everything on their own). They to be able to deal without mom or dad. Follow simple directions. They do NOT need to know how to write anything. It helps if they can recognize their letters and number 0-10, simple shapes but it is not necessary. The main thing is the social and independence parts.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:59 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• At my preschool, in order to prepare them for PreK it was highly recommended that each child knew:
    1. ABC's
    2.Name Writing (At least the basic function of writing)
    3.Shape/Color recognition
    4.How to count to 20

All states and even counties and areas are different on what they expect from children.

You can find places online like enchantedlearning.com to print free worksheets if you wanna sit and help him along.
    CuteandCurvy

Answer by CuteandCurvy at 11:58 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• The PK here just wanted the kids to be potty trained. If they knew their ABC's and numbers it was a plus.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 9:47 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• It apparently will depend on the school and the state requirements.

The only things my kids needed to know for preschool was how to use the bathroom, how to dress themselves and how to wash their hands. :) They prefer kids come able to follow simple directions, share with their peers and sit for a short spell per teacher direction.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 12:33 PM on Jan. 7, 2010