How to handle a toddler who constantly wants pacifier or milk?

My 20 month old daughter constantly asks for either her pacifier or her cup of milk. She is very well adjusted in every other way, and she doesn't have this constant desire for the "b" or the "milky" at the babysitter, but she asks for them relentlessly at home. I don't want to develop any bad habits for the future, but I wasn't sure if this is a normal stage that she'll outgrow. I've noticed friends' children in her age range do not behave this way.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:47 PM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We've been running into this ourselves with our 17 mo. old. She will not leave her room without her blanket & paci, she was really good about leaving them in there for the longest time now she is just terrible about it and whines asking for them until she gets them. I'm hoping it's just a comfort thing because of the teething and once that settles down we will try to keep it in there again. As far as I know she's fine at daycare, outta sight outta mind but not at home!
    slynnb

Answer by slynnb at 10:50 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• my son had his "b" (we call it that too) till he was about 27 months. i asked him to throw it in the garbage, and he did it. it was so easy. ive heard that gradually taking it away works too. like remind her its only for nap time and bed time. then only bed time. then not at all, over the course of about 2-3 months. good luck. sorry i cant be more help!
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 10:50 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• With our DD we just took the pacifier away threw them out and she got over it in a day, instead of milk give her water, she will adjust eventually.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 11:09 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• You have to be careful with cowmilk; it can sap iron and other nutrients from the body and fill the body with calories that should go to other foods. Let your child pick out a "big girl" stainless steel water bottle or sippy

Once a child is walking, he/she should be able to self-soothe and does not need a pacifier; make them disappear.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:28 AM on Jan. 7, 2010