Severe Ear infection during a continual snowstorm?

Ok, I have chronic sinus infections which causes fluid to build up behind my ear drums. For some reason it has gotten unbearably bad. I am beginning to run a fever. My face is swollen directly in front of both ears. My face and neck are sore to the touch for a good ways around both ears. The pressure is KILLING me.

We are in the middle of continual snow storms. The roads are ice and I won't take my kids out on them in order to go to the dr. Does anyone have any great ideas for ear infections? With 12 kids (all mine) in this house and more snow hitting tomorrow and Friday I really need some relief of the pressure, but I don't know what else to do. I've done Nasonex, Zyrtec, Benadryl, and Naproxen.

mommy9

Asked by mommy9 at 10:59 PM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Health

• Maybe you can google this, but a lady in my church will warm up olive oil with oregano and drop that in her kids ears for ear infections. It works. Also, holding a warm potato behind your ear will help with pain and pressure.
    Anonymous

• Web Md has a lot of answers to these types of questions. Take care and good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:17 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Thanks. I'm afraid to drop anything in there bc they are so bad. I emailed my dr (she's a friend) to see if she can recommend anything. I'm afraid they are close to actually rupturing so I'm scared to do much. Benadryl seemed to help some last night, but I can't take it during the day bc it knocks me out. I may be warming some potatoes though!
    mommy9

Answer by mommy9 at 12:18 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• DO NOT PUT ANYTHING IN YOUR EARS OR SINUSES! I am not saying home remedies do not work, I am saying you are too far along in your infection for it to work. Take a warm shower and use warm compresses to try to loosen up the mucus. Your doctor may have to come to you. If you have to call an ambulance, please do. Sinus infections actually can kill you if they get too bad. Please CALL your ER and ask them what to do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:49 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Fill a sock with uncooked rice and tie the end, microwave it for a moist hot compress.
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 12:50 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 1:38 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I'm not going to the ER. Our local ERs are places to only go if you are definitely going to die without going. They are currently full of RSV, Swine Flu, pneumonia, and bronchitis cases. I nearly always have a sinus infection. I have some antibiotics on hand that are keeping the sinuses at bay. The ears are killing me though. I'm just trying to ease the discomfort until I can get out, which I'm hoping to be able to do by Tuesday if this next storm isn't too bad.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I remember doing the uncooked rice years ago after some surgery, but I had forgot about that. I think I may go try that right now.
    mommy9

Answer by mommy9 at 1:42 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• First, eliminate dairy.

Alternate drops of apple cider vinegar and onion juice (use a garlic press) in your ears every hour.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:12 AM on Jan. 7, 2010