What is a good age to start to break the binky?

My son is attached to his binky. We are completely off the bottle and have been for 3 weeks. He just turned 1 saturday. I wasn't sure what is a good age to break the binky? He has 9 teeth now and working on 4 more currently.

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 11:01 PM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my mom threw my brother's out the car window while we were driving ;o)
    Anonymous

• I took my DD's at 9 months so now would be fine just make sure you get all of them and throw them out. Good luck.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 11:02 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• my dd is 9 1/2 months..s she isn't really attached to her's i leave one in the crib most the time when i remember and she chews on it for teething purposes rather than sucks on it... i check them regularly for breakage... none hve come apart so far... bu i think up until 2 binky at only nap and bed time are stil ok.... but the sooner the better im sure
    marchma2b

Answer by marchma2b at 11:19 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• My DD is 18 months and is totally attached. I'm not taking it away till she is 2-3 years old. It's like her blankie but her paci. It's a comfort thing.
    Keeely07

Answer by Keeely07 at 11:27 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• luckily my daughter is 1 and could care less about them.. but i'd get rid of it today, just loose it .. first of all it could get harder and harder to get it away from him when he's older and i think little 2-3 yr olds with binkies are just gross.. plus it messes with their teeth...
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 12:12 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Each of my kids have been different. My first started with a pacifier right away and when I tried to take it away at 1 year it was just too hard- she screamed and cried and it took her forever to fall asleep (that was the only time she used it). So I let her keep it and then at 18 mos. she just gave it up on her own. My 2nd wouldn't use a pacifier at all. And now my 3rd is like a mix between the two, sometimes she uses one to fall sleep & sometimes she doesn't. If your son just turned 1 I wouldn't stress too much about it. It's still a soothing comfort item for him and there's no rush in getting him to stop using it. If you want to start to ease the process though I would take it away during the day and only let him use it for naps & bedtime. That'll also make it so it's not hindering his speech and communication skills. And I'm sure he'll let you know when the day comes that he no longer needs it. :)
    princesspalace

Answer by princesspalace at 12:15 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Certainly by the time they are walking they should be able to self-sooth without a pacifier.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:11 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• My son was 16 months when we got rid of it. I think I honestly kept it longer because I didn't want to see him grow up! A lot of moms do this. We just had him throw them in the trash and we told him that they were for babies and he is a big boy. He cried one night for it, but that was it. I honestly thought it would be a lot harder than it was. He will be 2 next month. Good luck, just means your baby is growing up!
    NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 4:19 PM on Jan. 7, 2010