What the heck is a cerclage???

I saw a question earlier that said something about a lady having her cerclage removed and a responder said that she was having hers put it...What the heck is it???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:16 PM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Basically it's a stitch put in the cervix to keep it from dilating. It's used for women who'vs had miscarriages or still births related to an incompetent cervix.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 11:18 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• OH!!! I see...Ok, that makes since. No wonder I've never heard of it. It doesn't sound good
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I am the one that said I have to have it put in Jan 29th... My son was born at 24 weeks, he's fine now, but my cervix is too weak and once there starts to get pressure put on it, it will dialate prematurely so they stitch it closed so even the ones with an "incompetent" cervix can have have healthy babies!!!! It's great!
    nakoal87

Answer by nakoal87 at 10:25 AM on Jan. 7, 2010