Any tips for potty training a regressing girl?

My son was 3 when he was pt b/c he saw his new baby sister's poopy diaper and decided it wasn't for him. My DD on the other hand was doing great (i.e. using the toilet, wearing underwear) until the new baby boy showed up! She has really regressed, even with baby talk, or not talking at all some days. She is 2 1/2 now and back in diapers, how do I get her back on track, or should I just back off and let her do what she's doing?

willngingersmom

Asked by willngingersmom at 11:29 PM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Hmm well, on one hand you have your hands full so the sooner she's on track the better, but on the other.. this is her way of dealing with a new baby... maybe try to explain to her that she's the big sister and she needs to use the potty.. reward her more for using the potty... tell her you can't afford diapers for her and she has to use the potty
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 12:10 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Regressing is normal with a new baby. My daughter was in diapers until four; anecdotally, the smarter the child, the more difficult potty training is.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:09 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I would have suggested avoiding putting her back in diapers... dealing with accidents is hard, but usually it only lasts for a few days if there's no diaper option. I do realize you have your hands full. Since she's in diapers now, I'd say pick a day when you can have some help, and switch back to the undies, don't get upset about accidents, just move her to the potty every time and remind her she doesn't wear diapers anymore, they're for the baby. You may need to make a big deal out of the switch, like take her to get some new underwear and have her help you "throw away" her diapers (you can pull them out later to save for the little one).
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:20 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• rkoloms, I'm glad you have good anecdotes about your brilliant child/ late potty trainer. I don't think there's a link, though... my extremely verbal, intelligent daughter has been trained for almost a year now and she's two and a half. I don't think comments like that are very helpful...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Jan. 7, 2010