What should I do if my 14 month old is a tall climber and can get out of her crib now?

I have the crib on the lowest setting, no bumpers in the crib. She climbed out this morning, climbed the STAIRS of our house and greeted me in the shower. I usually get off the stairs when she's awake. I'm afraid to have her cruising around the house if she climbs out, and I'm afraid of her hurting herself if she tries to crawl out. BUT, she sleeps well in her crib and transferring a 14 month old to a bed and keeping her in it seems very hard to do in my eyes.

hkb

Asked by hkb at 11:29 PM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• she seems ready for a bed, but would putting her in the pack n play help at all?
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 11:35 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Well honestly since she is now climbing out of it, i think its time to move her to a bigger bed with some side railings on it. Just put a gate up at her door, so she can't get out, but of course leave the door open so you can hear her when shes awake.
    sexy_can_i

Answer by sexy_can_i at 11:35 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• well, i guess it is time for a toddler bed. I am dreading it, thankfully my daughter hasn't gotten out of her crib yet. good luck.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 11:36 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• You could wait and see how she does tomorrow in the crib but if she continues to climb out it sounds like you should move her to a toddler bed. It'll have the side rails so she won't fall out while sleeping but will be safer when she gets up on her own. And then either keep her door closed w/ a baby monitor on so you know when she wakes up or put a baby gate across the doorway so she can't leave the room. We're getting ready to transition our 21 mos. old to a toddler bed soon because our 3 mos. old needs the crib now and I'm not looking forward to it either, lol. Good luck! :)
    princesspalace

Answer by princesspalace at 11:46 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• my 11 month old is in a crib and she does very well... we just keep her room clean so she can't get into stuff that would hurt her.. and we put a gate up at her door.. so far she hasn't even climbed out of bed yet... but if your daughter is getting out of her crib it is safer to have her in a toddler bed and she sounds ready..
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 12:07 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• we moved my son to a twin bed at 15 months. It has worked out AWESOME and the transition was even easy.
    he gets up, climbs out of bed, opens the door and comes to greet us. Not knowing the layout of your house (mine is small with no stairs) I would suggest baby gates wherever you feel they are needed, or just teach her how to use the stairs properly.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 3:28 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I would also say it is time for a toddler bed or a twin bed with only the matress. I do not support the use of side rails for a childs bed though UNLESS they are solid or have a mesh cover. The side rails that have spaces leave the possibility for a childs arm or leg to get stuck. I would honestly rather have my child fall straight out of bed rather than get stuck in a side rail and break an arm or a leg. There is less chance of injury fall out without anything in the way than if there is something there.
    When my youngest son went to a toddler bed he was about the same age, and we also had stairs in the house. Logic says if he can climb out of a crib a baby gate will be no problem to climb over. I double baby gated his bedroom door, one gate on top of the other. He could not get out of that. At the top of the stairs if he tried to climb over he would go down the stairs. Two gates at the door was more secure. Hope that helps.
    Mommie_Mommie

Answer by Mommie_Mommie at 9:47 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• THank you all so much. She didn't climb out this morning, but I'm going to transition to a twin mattress on the floor with a gate at the door. Yes, I may need two gates since she's such a climber!! :) Our house is pretty spread out and my husband and I sleep upstairs, the kids downstairs. I think I'd feel most comfortable with her gated inside her room and a monitor on. Thank you all soooo much for your response. Happy New Year!!
    hkb

Answer by hkb at 12:08 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• my first son went to a twin mattress on the floor at 6 months. It worked out very well for him!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 2:29 PM on Jan. 7, 2010