BF moms... when did you ween? How did you do it?

My dd is 9 1/2 mo and I intend to continue BF at least until she is 12 mo, but after that I am soooooo ready to ween.... thing is I'm not sure she will be.... she barely drinks an ounce of water outta a sippy cup a day... I asked others in my family (dh and my mom mainly) to help her practice with the cup more, but I guess finding time is hard :-/ or they just give up cuz they get the same reaction i do.... she sips a couple sips and then either wants to chew on the other side of the cup or throw it! what can I do to prepare her now to help her more softly ween in a couple months?

marchma2b

Asked by marchma2b at 11:38 PM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Gradually is best for both of you. Before 12 mos-replace one nursing per week with formula-even if it's in a sippy. After 12 mos, Drop one session per week, and replace with whatever beverage you prefer-cow's milk, soy, rice, water, etc.

My daughter stopped nursing on her own just before 14 mos, but ate plenty of food, drank milk, and took sippys or rarely bottles well before 12 mos. Shortly after she stopped, I found out I was pregnant. I believe if I hadn't been, she wouldn't have stopped that early.

As to getting her more familiar with a cup, just have a sippy of water available to her all day. Eventually, she'll begin drinking when she is thirsty. Do you want to have her weaned BY 12 mos, or START at 12 mos?

My son is 28 mos. For a few months, he's only been nursing before bed, or occasionally if he's not feeling well. I'm leaving it up to him.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:49 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• I self ween around 18 months or so. Get a nuby sippy. Worked well with mine. Hardest time is bedtime. Mine always fel asleep BF'ing.
    Anonymous

• If you get a good sippy cup she will like it.. i found one at fred meyer that is soo great.. but ween when your ready, she'll learn so quick in the next few months how to use a sippy cup so don't worry :) And my daughter is 1 in 4 days.. i breast feed probably 3 times a day.. really just when ever i want to .. mostly at night.. or in the morning... but its good to keep the closeness as long as possible.. and don't worry about your milk flow.. it'll adjust to whatever you decide to do.
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 12:02 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• My daughter self-weaned at 23 months. The World Health Organization, operating without the influences of the dairy, formula and porn industries (unlike American doctors) recommends breastfeeding for a minimum of 24 months.

A great book / website is www.babyledweaning.com Baby Led Weaning

Answer by rkoloms at 8:08 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• What she's doing is pretty normal. If you want to lead the weaning, you drop one feeding per week till gone. Before the first birthday, replace with fromula. After, however you like. That's it. Don't expect her to cooperate at one year...sorry!

My son weaned at 26 months. I did NOTHING. He reduced his nursings all on his own, and for almost all of the last year he was down to only once or twice a day.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:31 PM on Jan. 7, 2010