my son will not go pee in the potty

help my son is 3 and a half and still will not pee in the potty he will poop when needed and if he is pooping he will pee too but anyother time u even mention the potty and he starts screeming or says he already went please help we are at are wits end

jeneye4

Asked by jeneye4 at 11:39 PM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• This might be a bit time consuming but it worked for me to get my boys to do number 1 in the toilet. Take sheets of toilet paper and draw targets on them with marker. Instead of saying that he needs to go “Pee in the potty” tell him it is time for target practice. I would challenge my boys to sink the whole square! If they did they got a reward for such great aim! Have a stack of them sitting on the back of the toilet. When I did it I used a full roll of toilet paper, took it off each square, drew the target on each one, and then used an empty tissue box to store them in. Any of them that did not fit I stored in a zip lock bag.
    In order to make this look fun, have dad show him how to do it. (See if dad can sink the whole square… maybe he can get a prize too. Wink wink nudge nudge… although you might run out of them faster that way. LOL!)
    Good luck hun. Keep us updated on his progress. He will get it I promise!
    <3
    Mommie_Mommie

Answer by Mommie_Mommie at 11:57 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Your not alone, my 3 and half year old daughter will not go on the potty. She will sit on the potty forever and then as soon as she gets off the potty she pees. I have her in panties but that has not worked yet and all I do all day is clean up pee. Good luck hopefully one day it will click in their little heads and they will use the potty.
    hosein

Answer by hosein at 1:25 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Don't have him sit there... instead, put him in underwear and a shirt, and watch for the accident to start. THEN move him quickly to the potty so he finishes there. Then he'll get what's it's for -- it's not a place we sit to wait for something to happen, it's a place we go when we need to pee. He'll make the connection more quickly that way. Otherwise the potty is nothing different from time-out. And if diapers are an available option, why wouldn't he use those?
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:25 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• cheerios are good targets too! we bought a urinal for one of our sons. i thought hes aversion to potty chairs was b/c he was short and his feet couldn't reach the ground. the urinal is cute, it has a water reservois( sp?) up top, so you can even flush it. the tray underneath can be emptied and rinsed out. Unfortunately, my son didn't use that either! he was either stubborn, or just not ready. I had twins 2 months before he was 3, and we didn't seriously try training until the twins were 3 months old. we ended up having a potty party weekend for him. Everything was about him and the potty. the whole family did a potty dance every time he went! He had a sticker chart and we had party hats and noise makers...he loved the attention! And it worked too!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 2:24 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Well, a couple of things, have you tried having him stand instead of sit? My DS liked that much better, also, we tried the cheerios thing as well, but he wasn't into that much, but definitely worth a try.

When my DS is being stubborn, my hubby will tell him that they are going to have a contest to see who has the most pee pee in their wee-wee (ok, corny I know, but it works!) the only "prize" he gets is that he gets to say he won at the end and they cheer together, but if it works, it works - I'm not questioning it! LOL.
    Miracle_pg

Answer by Miracle_pg at 10:23 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• last night my son told me he wanted big boy underware so i told him if he go's even one day without an oops (exept at bed and nap time) we would take him to the store where we will let him pick out a pair (we have told him this before but i never said only day) well to day he did it he had a dirty diaper in the morning when he first got up and after naptime but other then that no oops yeah!!!!! ofcourse he only went in the potty twice all day (only pee) and i gave him plenty of juice and milk so i think he is actually holding it in stubern little boy but still yeah i hope this is going to work
    jeneye4

Answer by jeneye4 at 1:48 AM on Jan. 9, 2010