When do your schools call off for snow?

I find it funny... being from Chicago, I now live in the South... they call off schools even before it actually snows! So, when do your schools call off?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:48 PM on Jan. 6, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I live in the burbs of Chicago but moved a little further south a few years ago. The weather mentioned that we were to get 8 inches of snow so the day before school was closed. Lets say there was NO SNOW AT ALL!!!! So it was a waste!! A friend of mine lives around ST Louis and he told me that at 6 tonight school was cancelled for tomorrow already!! He is also from up here and said people there scare him when driving in snow, lol. We still havent had it start to snow yet although they are saying between now and Friday we should get between 8-12 inches!! I still say a weatherman is the ONLY job where you can be consistantly wrong yet still keep your job and make big bucks!!!!
    jajumommy2000

Answer by jajumommy2000 at 12:57 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Same here,I am from Canada and live in the south.The first few flakes and the schools close.Grocery stores get insane as well.
    boogernoodle

Answer by boogernoodle at 11:52 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• Are you my neighbor? it seems Atlanta and the suburbs started shutting down this morning in prep for a snow storm that might not happen tomorrow afternoon! My doc's office was slammed with people doubling up on appts before the "storm." They even tested the tornado emergency sirens!!
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:53 PM on Jan. 6, 2010

• LOL! I know what you mean I also am from the North and live in the south. YOu definately don't want these poeple who are not use to driving on ice on the roads. Plus we don't have snow tires.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Ha ha ha ha, that's my Canadian laughter at the thought of school closing because of school. Seriously though, the schools never close. There may be days where the out of town buses don't run (but it's got to be really cold, like - 40ish cold), but the schools are still open.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:03 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I'm from Chicago, too. Growing up I never had a single "snow day". Even when we had over a foot of snow school was open and there was no such thing as a late start or 2 hour delay. We got a 10-15 minute "grace period" on days we had a lot of snow to allow for parents digging out their cars or having to walk on un-shoveled sidewalks. But if you were more then 15 minutes late you were marked tardy (in theory, I doubt they really did unless you were super late).
    My kids' school calls off if there is a huge snowfall overnight but have called off before the snow started once because they were saying 10" and it was the last day before winter break so...who cares, lol.
    When we lived in PA they called off every time they expected more then 5" and had a 2 hour delay if the temp was under 0F. It was insane.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:07 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Ok show of hands,how many of you walked five miles to school barefoot in the snow? lol jk
    We are in Louisiana. Louisiana does not do snow well. On the rare occasion that we do either get a random little snowflake or even think it's a possibility,we freak out and our whole world shuts down and we sit at home and make gumbo. Hmm...come to think of it,it's really cold,theres a possibility.....yay gumbo tomorrow!
    mommythree0508

Answer by mommythree0508 at 12:15 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I live in AR. We are expected to get 1-2 inches at most. Mostly a dusting in some areas. Already school and work is called off and the grocery stores were packed.

We get a little nuts. But only cause we never get snow and want it soooo bad.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:17 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• It's called off at the last possible minute. We've had 6-8 inches today and are under a winter weather warning bordering a blizzard warning, and they just, at 9pm tonight, called a 2 hour late start for tomorrow. They'll decide around 8am whether or not to call it off altogether. They don't call anything off if it's not actually doing it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:01 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Ours close at the last minute. Sometimes we expect them to close and they don't and it will be below 0 with the wind chill, ice on the roads and snow coming down like a machine is generating it. Other times there won't be below 0 temps and the snow won't be falling any more and they'll close. It's a guess as to what the Superintendent will do, it depends on his mood. LOL We're in NE Ohio.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:21 AM on Jan. 7, 2010