When do I start a baby on dinners instead of fruit and veggies?

I has a 5 moth old and was wondering when to start her on other foods

bootybabygirl82

Asked by bootybabygirl82 at 12:04 AM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• your 5 month old should only be on breast milk or formula right now! Don't start solids until 6 months at least... and then do 1 food per 4 days
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 12:42 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Pedi had me start baby on solid foods daily come 4 months old... Waiting a week inbetween each new food to make sure there wasnt an allergy.

At 6 months old, pedi had me start baby on stage 2 foods...

At this point, you arent doing the food for nutrition. You are doing it so they get used to the taste and the process of eating. Start with veggies first, and stay on veggies for awhile. You dont want baby to start preferring fruits instead of the veggies he/she needs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:25 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know little about).Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many now recommend skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    Two great books /websites on feeding babies, with differing philosophies, Baby Led Weaning www.babyledweaning.com and Super Baby Food www.superbabyfood.com You should be able to find them at your local library

Answer by rkoloms at 7:55 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• also check out http://www.borstvoeding.com/voedselintroductie/blw/engels.html
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:07 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• The dinners are stage two foods. Stage two foods are for babies that can sit unsupported. If she can sit un supposted at five months like my son did, than i say go for it. My doc also started my son at 4 months on cereal and stage one baby food and said follow the stages on the jars from there. (supported sitter, sitter, crawler, etc).
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 4:51 PM on Jan. 7, 2010