2010 Census form uses the word "Negro" in the choices for race. Thoughts.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2010/01/06/2010-01-06_census_negro_issue_use_of_word_on_forms_raises_hackles_memories_of_jim_crow.html

yourspecialkid

Asked by yourspecialkid at 12:05 AM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Um. the term Negro, quite literally means black. So, if the word black was on there people would be screamin' from the rooftops in anger. Apparently the government thinks it should be monitoring how many of each "race" there is, what do you propose they write on there?
    Lets see
    Are you:
    Pink?
    Pink with a peachy cast?
    Pink with a rosy cast?
    Tan?
    Light Tan?
    Middle Tan?
    Dark Tan?
    Yellow?
    Red?
    Green?
    Purple?
    Black?
    Brown?
    Light brown?
    and of course

Latin
    Cuban Latin?
    Mexican Latin?
    Central American Latin?

Comon' seriously. They won't stop asking till we stop answering!
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 12:43 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:05 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I was surprised by this. I haven't heard this word being used in years. My granddaddy farmed and he always had 2 or 3 people working for him and they were usually black. He referred to them as Negroes, but that was acceptable back then. African-American wasn't in use yet and my granddaddy certainly meant no disrespect with the term. He couldn't have made it without their help.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:08 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Well, that was a very dumb thing to do.
    AngiDas

Answer by AngiDas at 12:22 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• aaahh NY. I live in NY and the things that happen in NY never cease to amaze me. It was unnecessary to include it. African amaerican was sufficient.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:29 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• That wasn't really right. They should only just say African American and thats it. All these other names on forms dont' need to be there. AA should be enough.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 2:13 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Seriously??? I would love to know who came up with that idea and why. Idiot.
    LexsMami

Answer by LexsMami at 2:30 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I mean, it's kind of old school, but it's not derogatory IMO "Negroe" "Nigra" "Nigger" "Nigga" they all have different connotations, negro just means "black".
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 2:31 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I think asking for any skin color is useless information. If they want to know ethnicity, ok, but skin color? Why?
    Renee21

Answer by Renee21 at 5:51 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• African american is a whole bunch of rubbish. I know a lot of black people in america that haven't been anywhere near africa. Haiti, Jamaica etc......
    It's so arbitrary and stupid.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 5:53 AM on Jan. 7, 2010