How would you have felt if someone asked you this....................

I was at the park today with my son and somebody asked me if he was autistic because he is big for his age and he wouldn't say hello to her. He isn't even two and he is shy! She told me she thought he was like three. He is 19 months and is around 30 pounds and is 35 inches tall.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:10 AM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I just try to let that stuff roll off my back. I'd probably just have told her that he's big for his age and that he's being taught not to talk to strangers. You could get pissy about it to her, but what does that accomplish? Plus maybe she has a child with autism or something similar and was wanting to speak to someone in the same boat.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:20 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• i would have been angered/annoyed. He sounds like a big child. so what? and kids can be shy. i'd tell the woman to do some research on autism
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 12:13 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I would have said, "Why in the world would you ask a stranger such a presumptuous question? In our family, we don't talk to strangers. Especially rude ones." And left it at that.

Given the opportunity, people say dumb stuff. And people say a lot of dumb stuff about shy children. Sorry that happened to you.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:14 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Some people just need to keep their opinions to themselves. No two children are alike. Some are bigger, some smaller. And even if your child WAS autistic, what a rude question to ask! It's really none of anyone's business one way or the other. That person should have asked his age before asking if there was something wrong with him.
    TattooedMommy04

Answer by TattooedMommy04 at 12:20 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• OMG how rude was she? I would have told her I teach my children not to talk to strangers. Or stomped on her foot and punched her in the nose....
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 12:32 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• What a beetch........
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:41 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I probably would have been wtf in my head at first, and then forgiven her because she obviously is filled with preconceived notions, doesn't do research, and probably is a very unintelligent stupid person, unlike myself ;)
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 12:49 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• LOL OMG ECO SAID IT ALL!
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 12:57 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I would've politely told her to F Off and just walked away!! Some people have no manners and feel it's ok to say whatever they want to complete strangers. Yes your son is big so may look older but she shouldn't have just made such an assumption. And what if he WAS autistic... it's still a really rude and personal thing to ask. Why should she think she has any place to ask it and better yet WHY would you tell HER anything about your son. She's just some lady at a park who's trying to talk to your child. If it happens again just smile and say 'Wow, what a rude thing to say' and turn your back. :)
    princesspalace

Answer by princesspalace at 12:58 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• being the mom of a child with autism i would have asked her what being a big kid had to do with being autistic, then point out that she is a stranger and that my children are taught not to talk to strangers.

We have this problem alot in our family all the kids are big, My SIL was changing her daughter in the bathroom at a store on one of those drop down tables and some old lady came up and started telling her that she was a bad mom for not potty training her child, my sil looked at her and asked since when is it a rule that 2 y/o's have to be potty trained? the lady said that my niece wasnt 2 that she was 5 and needed to act like it lol my sil let her have it. all of our kids look several years older because they are all tall my 5 y/o wears a size 7/8 because she is tall and i have to take in the waist on the pants.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:25 AM on Jan. 7, 2010