If you get welfare, can you take really good care of your family? Do you get enough money for a place to stay and food to eat?

Do you get your own apartment (no roommates?) Can you buy extras (sodas, smokes?)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:47 AM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Just for Fun

• We live with my parents. But we could get an apartment, house or trailer (here you can get welfare to pay a portion or all of your rent for a house or a trailer it doesnt have to be in the projects).
    We only get medical card and food stamps because my husband has income (we're trying to get to the point where we dont need any help at all).
    The foodstamps are enough for food if we budget, cut coupons, shop for sales, plan ahead, etc.
    The medical assistance is awesome, but only me and DD get it. My husband doesnt qualify because...well, really because he's a man. It's not fair, but it is what it is.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:01 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• we get foodstamps and it is enough for us to eat on easily. you can buy things like soda on it. i don't know if you can use cash assistance to buy 'smokes' or not because i don't get cash assistance and i don't smoke. If you qualify for housing assistance you can get a place of your own.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:14 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• How can you get a place on your own? They give you money to live there? What circumstances does it need to be, like you don't have a job, so they give you a place to stay?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:24 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Foodstamps provide plenty for food as long as you don't become greedy & shop at only high-end stores. Cash assistance provides enough to get by, but that's about it. Here in California they have what is called CalWorks which is a program to help you in career training & finding work, & to be on cash assistance you must participate in that program (unless you qualify for an exemption like post-partum you're exempt for 6-12months). I love it though, because not only are we being given help to get by after many unexpected road blocks in our life (hubby laid off, I got pregnant, then I got laid off all within a few months) but we're also being given help to get us back on our feet, which we've really needed. The amount you get though varies on your family size & your income...but once you have it you can use it on whatever you'd like (so yes, you can buy smokes)...but I'd hope you'd be smart about your expenses...
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 1:29 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I see a lot of people on welfare with iphones, nice cars, and a place to stay. They get their extras (whatever that may be). We are on welfare, not to take advantage, but because we HAVE to. Right now, our family (of four) is staying with my parents. We were lucky, a lot of family were willing to take us in because some have been where we are. We also can not pay on our car. Just waiting for the repo man :-) (we only owe 1800 on it, so maybe that is why they have not come and get it. We are not lazy people, my husband is working a minimum wage job while looking for something better.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:37 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• here it can take you years to get into a place where they help with rent. Even with children. If you have a place to stay they don't try to hurry to get you into your own place. But if you are in a homeless shelter it goes faster. Plus it faster if you have a job. Or find a job while you are there.
    Midnite00

Answer by Midnite00 at 1:50 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I just found out my hours are being cut to 15 a week, I can't make it on 25 so I guess I will find out more about heap or pipp........... I know how hard it is to find a job, I have been looking since August. I'm looking for another part time job...... or a full time job anything!!!!!
    Midnite00

Answer by Midnite00 at 1:53 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• My sister has patients on welfare with new kindles, iphones, etc. They seem to be better off financially than many of our hard-working friends.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:50 AM on Jan. 7, 2010