Have you ever made your own draperies? If so was it difficult?

Whatkids

Asked by Whatkids at 1:17 AM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I have never made draperies but I did make my kitchen curtains. I did my kitchen because I have a short window over the sink, a normal size window in the dining area, and french doors that lead to my back porch. In order for me to get them to match I would have had to have something custom made and that can be expensive. It took measuring correctly and ironing each seam I sewed. In my living room, I bought a set of solid and printed shears with an additional beaded curtain on sale at JC Penney's. There is also vertical blinds in that window. The window looks elegant but not too formal.

PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 3:36 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I've made drapes. You need to buy special tape for creating the pleats. Any good sewing store should have a couple types of pleating tape. The hardest part is that the fabric gets heavy to work with, since there's so much of it. I used a medium-weight fabric and it really did get heavy.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 6:03 PM on Jan. 7, 2010