For those of you frozen from this arctic blast, how are you doing? What are you having to do to cope?

Not really fun, just conversing

Whatkids

Asked by Whatkids at 2:21 AM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Just for Fun

• haha I got my window wide open!
    CuteandCurvy

Answer by CuteandCurvy at 2:27 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• lucky you cute, i have the heat in my house at 70 and i'm still chilly.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:35 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• We are running up are water bill by leaving our faucets trickling, ruining our carpets because our dogs can't go out side (and keep missing the pee pads!!) and our gas bill is going to be astronomical because we live in a freaking trailer house that was built in 1979 and doesn't have hardly any insulation. Yep, I think that about covers it! :)

Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 3:58 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• We are still preparing for it... Everyone down here is stocking up on food, etc. Winter weather is not taken well here in central Texas LOL...
    We should get it tomorrow, sometime in the AM/noon-ish.
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 5:55 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• We are running up the electric bill with the heat, leaving water trickling at night, blasting the heat full blast and then some in the car, starting it and letting it run to warm up before leaving in the am. Oh, and we are sitting around bitching our a**es off about it. lol

My boyfriend is a truck driver, and just came home after 3 weeks in cold weather...I told him it was all his fault, that he brought it home with him. lol
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:28 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• We live in Chicago. This is January. It is cold and snowy. You dress in layers, wear your good boots, and go about your business. I prefer this to 90 and humid.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:46 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I agree with rkoloms...we're in Chicago, we're used to this. We just bundle up and carry on with our business. You allow time to clean off your car if it snows, you wear extra layers (even in the house--our heat is still set at 68 and hasn't moved since winter started) and you carry on. My kids will be wearing their boots to school this morning (since we got a couple inches of snow), sweatshirts under their coats, hats and pants under their skirts and we will still walk. We have walked when it was -20F outside (that was the temp, not the windchill).
    Me and my 8yo son walked 2 1/2 blocks to the local store the other day when it was like 18F outside just to get stuff for dinner. We didn't think much or it.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:57 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• ya you have to live up north to know how to deal with this.we live in mass and this is nothing.ya thermostat at 68 lots of layers.the best thing is when it it is sunny go out...it keeps away the winter blues.and walk the dog at least take him out side to go...there fine.
    cleo1977

Answer by cleo1977 at 8:14 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• It was interesting watching it blow in. We went to a doctor's appointment for the baby yesterday and we drive to the next town over, I mentioned something about "what happened to the arctic weather we were supposed to get" because it was 51 degrees out still. Within our half hour trip the temperature dropped 20 degrees!
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 8:23 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I live in the 'frozen tundra' aka WI. It is not unusual for the weather to be -0 and -0 wind chills- the weather may be bad, but life does go on as usual. To cope with 'bad weather' you need to allow yourself extra time in the morning-- for brushing off and 'warming up' the car, and slower driving- due to snow/ice. The key to staying warm is to dress in layers (both inside and for going out of the house). And remember "this too shall pass", only 4 more months till the 'spring thaw'.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:12 AM on Jan. 7, 2010