Bleeding & cramps on Mirena?

I got my Mirena inserted on the first day of my period (as suggested by the OB). That was about a week & a half ago...& I am still bleeding. Is this normal? Is it just a long period (only my second period since I had my baby so I'm not sure what is "normal" for me right now) or is something wrong?

Also, I noticed when I had sex yesterday I was crampy afterwards. It was the first time having sex since getting it put in. Is that also a normal thing for Mirena? What should I be expecting when it comes to sex on Mirena?

WannabeMommy87

Asked by WannabeMommy87 at 2:23 AM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I have had mine for almost two years and the cramping after sex did happen in the beginning sometimes. Even now I will have some mild cramping after sex but only very rarely. As for the bleeding, I bled for three months straight. Now mostly it was spotting. Like I would go for like 36 hours and then spot for a few hours, then go 18 hours and then some spotting. The first few periods I had with the Mirena were super heavy and the first one lasted for 15 days.
    But once all of that went away, I have a supe light period now and I LOVE mine. I was worth the short period of discomfort.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 3:11 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Got Mirena about 8 wks after my daughter was born. She was born in 6/09 & I got it at my check up. I noticed within the 1stfew wks that I was having side effects, but my Dr told me they would taper off and become less & less. I bled for the first 4 months very randomly. Half of the time I'd wake up in the morning and realized I was bleeding when I slept. It's so disgusting! I have also lost a lot of my hair. I shower or brush my hair and just wads of it falls out. I've now had it going on 5 months, and I cannot deal with it any more. I was 173 when I checked in to have my daughter. I was wearing my normal jeans two weeks after she was born... I had dropped the first 20 lbs really quickly (I normally weigh about 140). Anyway, I bought a scale last night and I have ballooned up to 189.4 lbs!!! This is dangerously heavy! From the weight gain to not even being able to wear my maternity clothes (I have to
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:34 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• wear jammies 24/7 because nothing fits) and then throw in all of the depression I have, random migraines which I've never had before, and the acne... it is just not worth it. I was really set on keeping the Mirena because of its potency and lack of mishaps, because I really do not want anymore kids... But I cannot handle all of this.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:35 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I got the mirena about 3 and half months ago and bleed for the first 2 months and spotted for the next month. i do have acne that i never had before. I have noticed that i start spotting and cramping after sex. I am considering having it removed.
    Anonymous