Besides anywhere in Tennessee...where is your favorite place for a family vacation?

What is your favorite place for a family vacation? About how much did you spend? What did you do? Where did you stay? What was the best part about it...other than time spent with the family??

LexsMami

Asked by LexsMami at 2:37 AM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Travel

• We like the desert southwest - Southern Colorado, Northern New Mexico, Northern Arizona and pretty much all of Utah. We spend a lot of time hiking and playing in National Parks and following any informational brown sign on the highway. My kids don't consider summer fun if we don't road trip to Los Angeles and go to Moab on the way; Arches National Park is their favorite place.

We also try to get to Israel every 3 years or so. Didn't make it last year due to my FIL being diagnosed terminal. We rent an apartment near one of my SIL and fairly near the beach. We travel the country. Visit relatives. Hang out at the beach. I think we have seen most of the zoos in Israel as well. Unfortunately, for a family of 5 the airfare alone is close to $5000. The apartment rental helps cut on expenses as we cook and don't need to go out to each.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 3:32 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I would love to go to Israel, but I don't speak the languages well and I am guessing it is kind of dangerous unless you know people...correct??
    LexsMami

Answer by LexsMami at 3:49 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Maine. Marlboro, Ellsworth, and Bar Harbor area was a really amazing place to go. We went Whale Watching while we were up there and it was the best experience I've ever had. I also love Ithaca, New York. It's a college town and just the most beautiful place to go. Lots of Gorges, hiking trails, little quaint shops, and soo beautiful anytime of year. Especially the fall.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:58 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Israel really isn't terribly dangerous. I lived in Jerusalem in the late 1980's and there were places you just didn't go unless you wanted trouble. It was pretty much the same when we were there in 2003 and 2006 (left literally the day the war started.) The big tourist areas are safe - Jerusalem, Tel Aviv, Haifa,Eilat, Dead Sea.

As for the languages, many people know at least enough English to help you if they don't know enough. I speak Hebrew moderately well, but there are still times I get flustered and then people just say - English - it will be easier for you.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 6:11 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• My Hebrew is really rusty and basically comes down to a few songs and phrases. I would love to go there, but this Israeli Army Commander came to my school last semester and said it wasn't safe. I think I will wait until it is a bit more stable before I take my son there. Its probably not that bad, but I have terrible luck, so if something bad was going to happen, it would probably be while I was there. :(
    LexsMami

Answer by LexsMami at 10:49 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• Since we live in Michigan it is the least expensive to go camping on the lakeshore. Great fun!!! But to splurge we love cruising!! It can be had for abot 75$ a day PP. which is not unreasonable! Theme parks are fun too. But I have never gone anywhere in the world that I would not go back too. Anywhere is fun if you make it that way!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 12:52 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• I'm sorry I can be of no help to you! We've never even gone away to a honey moon, vacation or weekend Away. Yet to date!! We've been married for almost 30 years! Been together for 34 years!! In WI. for us the WI. Dells is Fun. And The house on the Rock is interesting! The only trips I ever took were when I chapperoned all of my DD's Class Field Trips!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 1:37 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Lake of the Woods in Northern Minnesota was far the best Vacation we took. We rented a really cool cabin and went fishing in Ontario Canada. I would go back for sure we had a tour guide to take us to the fish. It cost about $1500.00 all together.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 8:14 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• Port Elgin, MacGregor Park off Lake Huron in Ontario is real nice. So is Tobermory, just north of that. Michigan has nice lakes. Been up and down both sides. The UP is great. I loved the Copper Harbor area. That is the tip of the horn of the UP. Loved Florida and PA. Quebec City is also nice too. Hate to say it, Oak Ridge, I think that is what it is called, Secret City in TN is nice too. Great history. Depends on all where you want to go. We have camped in all of these places.
    jns131

Answer by jns131 at 9:12 PM on Jan. 9, 2010

• If you want to stay in the south, Savannah and Charleston are both great. Oregon coast is absolutely gorgeous. London is probably my favorite place in the world, a little expensive, but worth every penny. And there are ways to cut costs. There is something for everyone there, history, museums, shopping, theatre, kids stuff, just anything anyone can want. The best value for your money is a cruise. The cruise itself is a great vacation, no matter what your destination.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 8:28 AM on Jan. 10, 2010