Abnormally large uterus at 11 weeks..What are some reasons?

Ok, so I had my first prenatal visit today and everything was fine! Heard the baby's heartbeat, the doc took some cultures and asked some questions...When he came backs he stated that all my cultures, std check, and blood work was normal but my uterus is abnormally large to be 11 weeks and ordered an immediate ultrasound in 2 weeks. He said either my due date was miscalculated, I have uterine fibroids, or I could have a multiple pregnancy. When I looked up symptoms of uterine fibroids one that scared me was pelvic pain and sometimes when I stretch or turn the wrong way I experience that. If not the tumors then what are some other reasons for these pelvic pains, especially when I stretch? And I'd like to know from someone's personal experience what an abnormally large uterus at an early stage could mean or what it was for you? Please help..This is my first pregnancy by the way..

SuchALadii

Asked by SuchALadii at 3:52 AM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Pregnancy

• could possibly mean a multiple pregnancy or a cyst so its best to do an ultra sound an get it checked out nut other than that u an your baby or shall i say babies be fine!!! good luck as long as you have no heavey red blood an really bent over extreme pain you should be fine!!! so good luck!
    ohmama213

Answer by ohmama213 at 7:53 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I did not have problems while I was preg. But my cousin had extra Amniotic Fluid which is called Polyhydramnios.
    Here is a link about it. Good Luck.
    http://www.marchofdimes.com/pnhec/188_1044.asp
    sorry it will not let me link for you.
    Michellesgirls3

Answer by Michellesgirls3 at 7:55 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Sorry I forgot to answer about the pains. It could be your ligaments stretching when you move it will happen all through out your pregnancy. You can pm me after you have your u/s..
    Michellesgirls3

Answer by Michellesgirls3 at 7:58 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I had a big uterus with both pregnancies with no problems. but even if it is a fibroid, they are almost always benign and rarely cause problems with deliver. Try not to stress. :)
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 8:49 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• the pain when u stretch or turn should just be ur body trying to adjust to its new size but i would bet that either you are more pregnant that u think or there is more than one baby in there lol!
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 9:18 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• multiples or your farther along then they think.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:46 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• congratulations on the pregnancy! i would think that the pain your having is round ligiment pain only because you get it when your stretching. i don't remember getting it with my 1st pregnancy but i had them really bad with this pregnancy and it does hurt! anyway i wish you luck.
    jess311

Answer by jess311 at 11:27 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• don't worry!
    twins could give you a larger size, as would a miscalculation of your conception date. the pain could very well be from ligaments being stretched! Extra amniotic fluid, and quicker uterine growth than normal were my first signs of my twin pregnancy. I homebirth and see a midwife, so I went on a no sugar diet when we saw the extra amniotic fluid...that could also be a sign of diabetes, luckily it was twins, so the extra growth and fluid was normal.

Good Luck, and again...don't worry. the ultrasound will reveal a lot. be happy so your baby can grow well!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 2:09 PM on Jan. 7, 2010