baby formula: ready to go different than powder

My daugter is going on a month now and she is starting to take formula because I have stop breastfeeding. She was just dischager from the NICU yesterday and they give me Enfacare Ready To Go. Now I have her on WIC and she is on the same one but now powder. I try to give it to her but she couldnt finish it. She is a preme and very tiny that why she is on this kind of formula. She was born at 31 weeks and was at a very low birth weight. I am worry she will not be able to held the powder formula then the ready to go. Is there a different between them?

i_am_ur_kittie

Asked by i_am_ur_kittie at 4:29 AM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's just premade... Other than that, its all the same. All hospitals have and will give you the premade stuff in the hospital. Its less mess and entirely more convenient.
    Itsonono

Answer by Itsonono at 4:33 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I would call the nursery at the hospital and ask them if your concerned. They may even give you some of the other stuff for her.
    Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 4:37 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Can you get a breast pump from WIC?

Answer by rkoloms at 6:31 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Price is the major difference otherwise they have the same ingredients. And no, you can't get a breast pump from WIC.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 7:09 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• WIC gives out breast pumps...or call you doc and have them write a prescription for wic saying you need the pre-made kind..My doc told me that my ds couldn't handle the powder after have it premixed because it can feel gritty.
    konnorsmommy09

Answer by konnorsmommy09 at 7:30 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Maybe the powder hasn't dissolved enough? I used to make a pitcher of formula in the morning that would last through the night, and for my son's first bottle of the day. The rare time I had to make a bottle "on the fly" it seemed like he didn't like it. (He was in the NICU for a few weeks, a preemie.)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:24 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Scuba said it about the powder not being dissolved completely. my pedi said to do was buy a big pitcher with a lid and make up a whole days worth of formula the night before. I would shake the pitcher every so often when I was in the kitchen just to make sure it was disolved, by the next morning, we had no problems with it.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:08 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• did you have to stop due to medication? If so a lot of the time there is outdated informtion or an alternative. More information would help. You could even give breastmilk part time at first. For a premie, if any obstacle can be overcome, breastmilk would be a benefit.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:08 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• There are differences between ready made and powder. Ready made is much safer. The powder is not sterile and can cause illness and death. The World Health Organization instructions for the proper making and taking care of the powder is many pages long and would be difficult to expect a parent to do. One of the germs that has been in the powder is very dangerous.

Of course breastfeeding is extra important for the premature baby. During flu and RSV season the premature baby is at high risk. If the mom has to work and the baby has to be cared for by others, breastmilk can help protect the baby from illness.

If you won't breastfeed, ask your baby's doctor about getting milk from a milk bank. Some banks will only supplement a mother's milk and won't give milk if a mother just chooses not to breastfeed. If you can't get milk bank milk the next best choice would be another mothers' milk. You can try the website MilkShare.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:42 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• My son had a bit of trouble going from the ready to powder. My doc suggested it could be the bubbles from shaking the powder, so i didwhat the dr said to do and pre mixed the formula and kept it in the fridge so the bubbles had settled by the time it was time to be fed. It worked and i had no more problems :) Hope that helps!
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 4:47 PM on Jan. 7, 2010