My 6 mo. old isn't sitting up. =(

She sits up when she's in her bouncer, but she doesn't independently sit up. However, she is already getting on all fours and imitating crawling. I understand that those are two entirely different muscle groups, but what can I do to help work her to where she will build her trunk muscles up?

Her Dr. is having a specialist come analyze her but the appointment is a month away. Please no bashing! I am worried enough as it is.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:38 AM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wouldn't worry about it too much. Both of my daughters were late sitting up. And the youngest didn't walk until she was 15 months. Babies do things at their own speed and on their own time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:41 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Yeap, but her doctor is concerned enough to call a specialist, which I guess freaks me out a little bit more... =(

Any exercise ideas out there?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:42 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I don't really know of any exercise ideas but my son wasn't even sitting up til he was 9 months! And he wasn't walking til he was 17 months. Calling a specialist seems a little extreme to me. You need to let her learn to do it on her own time. Try getting a bumbo or a nursing pillow to put around her and sit her up. It can help her learn how to control those muscles and keep her upright. But give it some time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:09 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I wouldn't worry yet, but do watch how much time she spends in the bouncer--too much is not good.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:06 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• my hubby would always lean our baby forward so she was in a sitting postion on her own but she was leaning forward on her belly. also try a laundry basket, sit baby in it with a pillow on the other side for suport and she will be able to hold the sides to help her sit
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:16 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• YOU COULD ALSO TRY SITTING HER UP IN FRONT OF YOU ON THE FLOOR. PUT ENOUGH SPACE BETWEEN YOU AND HER BUT NOT SO MUCH THAT IF SHE FALLS SHE WOULD GET HURT. I DID THAT WITH MY GRANDSON BUT HE DIDN'T SIT UP TILL HE WAS ABOUT 8 MONTHS.
    karla716

Answer by karla716 at 9:51 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I see you use a bouncer. Get her out of that bouncer, swing, Bumbo, stroller, walker, exersaucer and any other baby holder you put her in. These can all hinder baby development. Carry her on your hip, put her in a sling, use a hip baby carrier, and put her on the floor. She will learn to hold her body up with her muscles.

There is actually a name for this delayed development, baby container syndrome.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:33 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Gail is right. The more time they spend in baby contraptions the less time they spend exploring and developing. Use of said contraptions in moderations is okay though. (and im not saying you put her in them to much im just making a point..lol..). I have said contraptions for my son and developmentally hes perfect. My friends son didnt sit until he was nine mos and the doc didnt seem concerned. They all develop so different!
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 4:35 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• DON'T WORRY!!! I have a 6 1/2 month old who doesn't sit up on his own, and he doesn't roll over from his back to his tummy yet either ... the dr isn't concerned, as he is developing in other areas just fine. It's important to understand that babys work really hard on one milestone and other ones "fall behind" (if you're comparing babies, which you shouldn't), and then they move on to the next thing. I have a few friends who had babies around the same time as I did, and their's aren't sitting on their own yet either. I think your Dr. is jumping the gun - just enjoy the time that you can put your baby down, leave the room for a minute and come back to them being in the same spot:)
    Anonymous

• I put her on the floor as much as I can which she prefers. I just said a bouncer because thats what she sits in when she eats her cookies and holds her own bottles... I dont let her do that when she is on the floor because I have pets! Geez. People take this crap entirely too seriously.

She is only delayed in one area. READ THE ENTIRE THING AND THINK BEFORE YOU JUMP TO CONCLUSIONS AND CHOOSE TO BE A WENCH AND BASH!!! If someone asks for no bashing, try that. It might actually help!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:56 AM on Jan. 8, 2010