how in the world do you find the perfect name?

for a boy or a girl.

Asked by msprego17 at 4:11 PM on Jun. 25, 2008 in Pregnancy

• We weren't interested in names that were so uncommon that no one could pronounce or spell them but we didn't want anything incredibly common either. We looked at a list of 100 most popular boy names and found the 2 we liked the best. It was too overwhelming to try to look at a babyname book.. there were so many names that we thought were just out there. There had to be 4 stipulations though--we both had to like first and middle name, the first and middle name had to flow well together, the first name and last name had to flow well and neither of us could know anyone in our daily lives with either name. We came up with Ethan Jacob--and actually someone told me both of those are one of the top 10 most popular names list in the last year or 2. GO FIGURE!

Answer by georgeswife5014 at 4:39 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• Sometimes you just know. I've known a lot of people that have picked out what they thought was the perfect name but once the baby came out, they ended up with something completely different.

Answer by TattooedBeauty at 4:41 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• I have 4 kids
    Pinhead Steven Daniel
    Chakra Rose
    Socrates James
    Migan Ann

now think exotic and stick with it. I have unusual first names followed by family middle names. Everyone loves my children names. Watch movies like the gladiator, Cleopatra, and other movies like attention to the names and you will find one.

Answer by MissLady620 at 5:33 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• I believe the right name comes to you..destiny. When it is time it will just be there right in front of you...keep listening for names around you, on tv and radio, songs, and In books. Family names are also a wonderful way to honor someone and carry on a traditon. good luck

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 6:10 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• My kids names are Sadira Chanel
    Caiden Wayne
    Melina Catherine

Sadira is a name my DH found in a book he was reading, I hated it at first, but it grew on me.
    Her middle name was just one I liked and sounded good with her first and last name. Caiden was origionaly going to be Hayden but my DH didn't think it was unique enough so we altered it, go figure we'd alter it to the most common name in the world right now. Wayne is my DH father's first name, he dies when my DH was 17 so I thought it was important to honor him. Melina is a name from a cartoon my kids watched, and Catherine is my grandmothers name again I wanted to honor her.

Names are REALLY hard for us casue it takes us forever to agree on and we have pretty much the same stipulations as you guys. All I can suggest is looking through books or on line and jot down the names you do like when you come across them, then compare and dwindle down that list.

Answer by misty1_sd at 6:26 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• process of elimination! When you each say your favs and noses turn up you know that's not it. keep doing that until no more up turned noses appear.bada bing bada boom! there's your baby name.

Answer by MommyInfinity at 9:32 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• ya with baby names they do just come to you it was so hard to find a name for my baby girl and i found one that was cute and not so many people have so just look and have patince.. mine are austin joseph
    layton paul
    and my little girl will be here in sept her name will be kaylee sophia.. well hope i helped ...

Answer by beketa at 11:45 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• What name means something significant to you? It doesn't necessiarily have to be a common name it could be a place, an object, etc. What name do you like the sound of, something you won't get tired of hearing or saying. What is a name that you think is timeless and won't become "dated"? What name reminds you of something you love or someone special who will always be special to you? These are questions I asked myself when DH and I were naming the girls.

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 9:14 PM on Aug. 15, 2008