Son shows up at home yesterday wearing eye makeup? What would you say do him or think??

He is 15. Told me that one of his friends who is a girl put it on him. He was trying to get me to laugh at it, but I kept a straight face. I honestly told him it is wrong for him to wear makeup, I didn't think it was cute and to go back and take it off before his dad saw him wearing it. Is he trying to reach out in some way to me, identity thing that may just be a stage that will pass. How would you handle this situation if it were your child??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:30 AM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I would have laughed. Kids like to try different things and it was probably nothing. If it was him reaching out to you then I would suggest talking to him and listen to what he has to say. I would always want my children to be able to talk with me no matter what. If he was testing that water, he may now be afraid to talk with you.

On the other hand, I know my son and his friends have let girls put make up on them. Sometimes i think they do it because it means the girls are paying attention to them and talking to them. Maybe he likes this girl and he wanted to spend time with her.

I guess I would talk to him and find out what he was thinking. To me it is really not that big of a deal, although I understand that everyone has to parent in there own way. I just would never want my children to not be open with me.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:29 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• If it only happened the one time, I would say he could very well be telling the truth. I would just let it pass for now and if it happened again then I would be alarmed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:34 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Why on earth would you care? He's wearing a pigment on his face. That's all.
    He's not doing drugs, he's not drinking.

Honestly, i fail to see what the issue is here.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 5:43 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I believe in choosing my battles. I would definitely let this one go.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:28 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• If it was only one time I would not do or say anything really. But go wash it off. I would have just told him that I do not believe males should wear makeup.

Answer by louise2 at 6:57 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• This is nothing to be concerned with, honestly. Today's generation a lot of guys wear eye make-up (mostly eyeliner). They did the same thing back in the 80's when a lot of the heavy rock bands were doing it. If you don't see something more serious going on, like drug abuse or severe sexual confusion, I wouldn't worry about it in the least.
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 7:03 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• lol Im from a different generation then you i think. Guys wearing eye makeup to me is really cute. Which is prolly what that girl thought too. Its nothing to be concerned about. He isnt cross dressing or anything lol. Its just a cool thing to do now.
    Kayere

Answer by Kayere at 7:14 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I would have told him to wash it off as well. Do what you want when you are out on your own, in this house you wash it off.
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 7:25 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I would laugh it off and tell him he was silly. What if he was trying to reach out to you? Maybe he was testing the waters to see what your reaction would be. I would never want my son to be afraid to come and talk to me about something so I plan to always try and keep an open mind when it comes to my kids.
    vnw1405

Answer by vnw1405 at 7:30 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I would tell him to take it off and not wear it agiian in my house. If he was getting into a fashion career or something like that, that's one thing. But where I come from, men don't wear makeup. Ever.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:49 AM on Jan. 7, 2010