Itchy throat, runny and stuffy nose, itchy eyes... "Natural" remedy?

I need a "natural" remedy for my itchy throat. Our kids are sick too, since they have medicaid we took them to the doctor and she perscribed Amoxicillin. She says its bacterial. Since I cant go to the doctor and I am breastfeeding, I need something for my throat.

Do any of you know of anything that could help?
Thank you all so much!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:33 AM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Health

• If it is really bacterial (did the doctor do a culure?), then you do need the antibiotic. If you have strep, and leave it untreated, you can wind up with scarlett fever, which can cause heart issues and other problems.

Avoid dairy while you are sick – it can increase the amount of mucus your body produces.
    Peppermint tea is great! Peppermint is a natural decongestant; just be sure that peppermint is the only ingredient.
    Honey (antibacterial) and cayenne pepper (anti-inflammatory) is the best cough syrup.throat soother.
    Emergen-C will help you stay hydrated and give you an energy boost; be sure to mix it with cold water. The lowest price is at Trader Joes, though it is sold just about everywhere (Target, Walgreens, etc.).
    I am a big believer in the power of foods. This healing foods pyramid from the University of Michigan is great: http://www.med.umich.edu/umim/food-pyramid/index.htm

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:25 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Get some Elderberry syrup. The FDA criticized the manufacturer of Tamiflu for "overstatement" of claims of efficacy, since blind studies comparing it to a placebo only resulted in a 1.3 day difference. A study on Sambucol (Elderberry) found a 3-4 day difference in duration of symptoms.
    Most important, stay well hydrated!

My secret weapon against all illness is Miso soup! 2 cups veg. broth
    2 cups hot water
    4 Tbsp. miso
    1 tsp. fresh ginger root, grated
    1/2 cup diced firm tofu
    3 Tbsp. thinly sliced scallion greens
    1/2 cup thinly sliced mushrooms
    I have substituted onion for the scallions, and left out the mushrooms. I have also added some thinly sliced chinese cabbage, because I happened to have it.)

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 6:27 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Pour the veg. broth and 1 cup of water into medium saucepan. In separate bowl, dissolve the miso in the remaining 1 cup water. Mix well and add to saucepan. Add the ginger root and mushrooms and heat until simmering (about 5 minutes). Remove from heat and stir in
    the tofu and scallions. (If adding other veg. like onion or cabbage, you'll want to simmer until they are tender before adding tofu.)

• for a sore throat i have heard of gargling salt water and also cayenne water. A runny nose you should let run, it is discharging unwanted bacteria, virus and dead cells. Coughs, the same thing. Stay hydrated and rest (hard when youre a mom, I know!) hot tea will certainly soothe a dry itchy throat, and hydrate you as well. Avoid caffeine though!
    I also agree with pp about healing foods.

good Luck to you!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:49 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Take some garlic pills everyday. Garlic is a natural antibiotic. Gargle with salt water. Drink tea with honey & lemon to soothe your throat. Use a saline spray to cleanse your nasal passages.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 12:54 PM on Jan. 7, 2010