my husband says thats too long

i plan on nursing my son til 2 years old but my husband says no im stoppping at a year because if i dont my sons teeth will be messed up. is this true?

spookshowbaby

Asked by spookshowbaby at 5:50 AM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• what messes up some kids teeth is sending them to bed with a bottle of cows milk. you don't need to brush their teeth after feeding them breast milk. Your hubby can speak with a biological dentist.
    I fed one son to 21 months, and one to 13 months, and my twins to 15 months. no messed up teeth here. I do have a friend whose children's teeth are rotting from the inside out from going to bed with bottles of formula though.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:40 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• the longer u breastfeed the better. I dont know about the teeth but it will be his milk teeth anyway
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:58 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Ask your husband to find scientific evidence to back his position. As long as you brush your son's teeth twice a day, they will be fine.

The World Health Organization, operating without the influences of the dairy, formula and porn industries (unlike American doctors) recommends breastfeeding for a minimum of 24 months. Certainly give him a sippy cup with water, and make sure that he is eating a variety of healthy foods: fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans, lentils, tofu, etc.
    Remember that cow milk is for baby cows, and humans don't need it. Like many other nutrients, and despite the claims of the dairy industry, plant based calcium is superior to animal based. While cow mild is rich in protein, the kind of protein that is contains is casein, while human milk protein is lactalbumin, with is easily digestible; more the 50% of casein isn’t digested and can cause health problems later in life, like food allergies.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:22 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Nuks are bad for their teeth. Babies need the sucking at first but you should take away the nuk when they start to get teeth. As far as nursing goes the longer the better. Good luck.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 7:53 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• No breastfeeding won't mess up his teeth! Educate your dh on why breastfeedings so important, good advice in pp's. Talk to hubby, he may be feeling jealous.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:48 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• thats a hard one....personally i think its kinda creepy breastfeeding a kid that old i dont think it will mess up his teeth or anything tho...but at 2 the breastfeeding is for your benefit, not his, he should be on cows milk soon!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:48 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I feel it is a personal choice between a mother and a child how long breast feeding continues. If you want to continue and you child enjoys it and is not showing signs of not wanting to then go for it! If you are not wanting to, or your child is showing signs that he is not interested then it is time to stop.
    There are many people that breast feed until the child is much older (6 and 7 years old). I saw on Discovery Health a story of a woman who nursed her child until he was in 4th grade. He would nurse when he came home from school and before bed. I will not say I agree with it, but there is their personal choice. Heck I like a big hunk of beef for dinner, and some people say that is wrong. LOL! See if you can get him to talk to a lactation specialist to get some facts about it to help him understand the best he can. Not to sound rude, but he is a man, he will never fully understand the love and bond you share during it.
    <3
    Mommie_Mommie

Answer by Mommie_Mommie at 9:55 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Both the WHO and AAP recommend nursing until AT LEAST 2 years old and there after until mom and/or child wish to stop. It will not mess up their teeth unless you nurse at night and don't brush after and then that is rare. My 4.5 year old nursed until 18 months and his teeth are just fine (been seeing the dentist every 6 months since he was 3 years old) and my 29 month old daughter is still nursing and when she saw the dentist a month ago he said her teeth were in great shape. It actually HELPS their teeth and jaw form in the correct position. Tell your DH to talk with his dentist about it or find a pediatric dentist to talk to him. Breast milk has HUGE benefits at any age and that includes at the age of 80 too. Do what you feel is right and don't let any one pressure you into anything.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 1:48 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Two is not too old. Like other posters have said, it is actually the minimum age recommendation of the World Health organization.

Show this to your husband: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextended/ebf-benefits.html

PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 3:42 PM on Jan. 7, 2010