What is the proper etiquette for approaching someone at work who's father just died?

She just came back to work today & i have not seen her yet. Should i acknowledge that her father died? What do i say to her? I know she was pretty upset about it. We're not really close, but we do talk at work & know each other pretty well. Anyhow, any suggestions would be greatly apprecieted.

Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:17 AM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Relationships

• Just tell her your sorry for her losss, and if she needs to talk you are there for her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:27 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Just a simple "I was sorry to hear about your dad" is good. You could also ask how she's doing or ask about her family if you have that sort of relationship.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 8:28 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Can you email her and tell her "My condolences on your loss"? If not, then just say it when you see her. That says it all

Answer by admckenzie at 8:31 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Just say I am sorry to hear about your dad, if there is anything I can do I'm here.
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 8:33 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I would keep it simple and next time you see her say "I am so very sorry to hear about your dad". If the 2 of you are fairly close then I would add something like "if you need to talk or need anything I am here for you".
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:09 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• dont talk about it. if she brings it up, allow her to say what she wants, but when someone in your fam dies and everyone bugs you about it --- they are making it worse for you... all the "how are you dealing/doing/feeling?" questions get old and annoying really fast. just be nice to her!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:18 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

This must be a personality thing. When my mom passed away it made me feel good that so many people cared that much for me and for her that they would ask how I was doing or express their condolences.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 5:50 PM on Jan. 7, 2010