my 2 year old girl is very picky. i cant get her to eat much. Help. what are portion size for a 2 year old

mrsdewey

Asked by mrsdewey at 8:37 AM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my babe is pretty picky too he has to smell EVERYTHING before he eats it and if he cant tell from the smell he will put it to the tip of his tongue to see what it tastes like(19 months old)! but i think its ok for her not to eat much as long as what she eats is healthy for her. each day is different for mine somedays he will eat more than me lol. but i try to give him a couple spoonfuls ( like 1/2 a small plate) and he can usually almost finish that. just make sure she gets some veggies for lunch and dinner and she should be fine
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 8:40 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Offer fruit or green smoothies (fruit, water and greens like lettuce or spinach blended)...

Don't worry about portion - trust your child on that. I would just keep offering different things.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 8:50 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• my kids are super picky eaters. Specially when it comes to raw vegies. i have to add them to stews or puree them and add them to fried foods. buy the child plates with the dividers. their portions are a good size. you can even find them at the dollar stores. the same goes for the cup. Oh, try not to give the child too much juice between meals.
    alejandra559

Answer by alejandra559 at 8:52 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• ooooohhh! I like the green smoothy idea. I am going to try this.
    alejandra559

Answer by alejandra559 at 8:53 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Most people (including me) overfeed their children, especially toddlers. I was reading an article about it when my kids were little. The correct portion of food for a 2yo was like 1/4-1/2 of a grilled cheese, 3 thin apple slices and like 6 or 7 mini pretzels. At 2 my son was eating a full sandwich plus a full apple plus a full bag of pretzels plus something else at lunch. By 3 my son could eat 2 sandwiches if I let him. He's 8 now and actually eats more then I do half the time and I'm 250lbs (I don't actually eat a lot, I've been trying to be more controlling of my own portion size).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:04 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• It seems like they ALL are...that's all I see is people posting this question for their 2 yr old. I'm guilty of it as well..and I still haven't figured out how to get her to eat better...so I'll be watching this question lol
    michellelee3708

Answer by michellelee3708 at 9:07 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• As long as the food you're offering is healthy, don't stress to much over portion sizes. Toddlers are notorious to being picky eaters and going for days with almost no food. Here's how I get my 2 1/2 yr old to try new foods, I don't give them to him! I put them on our plates in obvious spots until he notices. Invariably he'll want some of "Mommy's food" or "Daddy's food". Presto, he's tried something new! It doesn't always work but It's worth a try. Whatever you do, make sure you keep trying new things. Even if they take only a bite or two, it's progress. Try to avoid catering too much to what they like. It makes more work for you and makes the problem worse. Toddlers will eat when they're hungry.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 10:45 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I call this the air-o-tarian phase; they all go through it. First, make sure that she is drinking water, so she doesn't get dehydrated.
    Most important, do not create a monster who only eats nuggets, mac and cheese and hot dogs.
    Just keep offering a variety of healthy foods, and eventually she will start eating.
    Frozen foods are fun to play with, and will get eaten, like peas, blueberries and corn. Chunks of avocado and tofu are loaded with great nutrition, and are fun to squish between little fingers.
    I have never met a toddler who wouldn't eat hummus (lots of calcium, protein, good fats and iron), you can mix it with a mashed egg.
    Offer cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta and veggies with marinara or peanut sauce or cheese sauce.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 1:16 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• We use the 3 bite rule. You must try 3 bites of what is on your plate; if you don't like it, you fix yourself peanut butter and honey on whole grain toast with a kiwi or apple. Even my husband is expected to follow the rule.
    If you cave now, you will forever have a picky monster on your hands. I promise that your child will not starve. Parents who cave are part of the reason why one half of American children are be both undernourished and overweight. One third of children born in this century will develop type 2 diabetes.
    Keep offering a variety of healthy foods; stop buying junk foods until the picky phase has passed

• My son doesn't eat much, and won't eat veggies, so I went out and bought the "Green Goodness" juice from the refrigerated section of the store. It has tons of green veggies, but fruit too, so it tastes good. He loves it.

I also make him milk/yogurt smoothies to drink. My Ped. liked both ideas.
    Sharon7772

Answer by Sharon7772 at 4:44 PM on Jan. 7, 2010