I have a question...my SIL claims she is pregnant, like she does so at LEAST once a year...

She's an attention junkie if you will... Just about every year she will say she is pregnant before she even has an appointment...then she will "miscarry". She also has the mirena in. (supposedly) Anyway, again around christmas she said she thought she was pregnant and would know in a week. So a week later she calls and says Happy New Year! I'm pregnant! She said she had an appointment on monday to get the mirena out and do ultra sound and all that...so then saturday comes and she says she's started bleeding. I talked to her on monday and she said she still hadn't been to her appointment, that they rescheduled it for tuesday and they thought it was an eptopic pregnancy. So tuesday I call her and ask how her appt went and she said yeah it's eptopic, they told me to just let it run it's course and they will check it in a few weeks. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought they would terminate right away in that (cont'd)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:59 AM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Health

• (cont'd) situation. Anyway...she came over yesterday and she looks like she's 2-3 months pregnant. I don't know...I can't figure out if she said she was pregnant for attention yet again, and really wasn't...or if she said it, and was, and lost the baby due to eptopic pregnancy...or if she IS pregnant....and wants the attention she'll get because everyone feels bad about the eptopic pregnancy....I know this sounds kinda rude to make all these assumptions, but if you knew her, you would understand...everyone in my family is on the same page as me with this...they all believe the same thing...she's lying about something...but about what ? What do you guys know about eptopic pregnancies?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:02 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Sometimes, doctors will use a blood thinner like Lovenox to help the body re-absorb the ectopic pregnancy. If you ask her what they did for treatment for the ectopic and she doesn't mention a blood thinner, she may very well be lying. Doctors wouldn't just say "let it run its course" and do nothing, because the risk to the mother from a ruptured fallopian tube is extreme.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:12 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Eptopic means the fetus is in her tube. She would have to have surgery and most likely have the tube removed. Sounds fishy to me.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 9:12 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• IF she had an eptopic pregnancy the doctors would be VERY concerned- as the pregnancy would be in her tubes--which is very serious the doctors would not just be blah about it and 'let it run its course'. On a side note- it might be a good idea if your sil gets counseling--especially if she pulls this stuff (pregnancy/miscarriage tales) often.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• She said that because she had started to bleed already they didn't have to do anything...they told her to wait a few weeks, and if it was still there they would terminate...but when I said to her, if you had an eptopic pregnancy they would want to terminate, not wait a few weeks because it is dangerous, and life threatening to you, and she was like, no its not because I've already started bleeding. I was like wow...are you that stupid....well I didn't really call her stupid, but I thought it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:27 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• As far as looking pregnant, it is possible to have all the symptoms including the stomach of pregnancy simply from wanting it to be so. It's called a hysterical pregnancy.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 12:52 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Gosh, she sounds like some of the girls i went to highschool with!! They eventually ended up getting pregnant for real and having too many babies for them to care for.. those people are wako if you ask me and don't need kids of their own, lol. She sounds like a real liar to me. We have one of those in our family too, only she said she had a hystorectomy and then all of sudden, she was pregnant... but she really was, lol.
    MJ_BN_FE

Answer by MJ_BN_FE at 8:00 AM on Jan. 21, 2010