spanking a kid will make them more successful later in life?

agree or not? I heard this on the news this morning and they said a new study shows that this is true.

i somewhat agree

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 9:08 AM on Jan. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• I discipline my children (spank); but I don't call it spanking. The word spanking has a sense of punishment and that is not the goal with my decision. My goal is to teach my children that certain choices they make will result in discipline. The word discipline means to teach. Children will not die from being disciplined and yes, they will be much better set for life later on as they will have the knowledge that others simply don't get with a "talking to". They know that their actions - good or bad - have consequences. Are there children who are beaten? Yes. Are there children that are 'spanked' who are not beaten? Again, I say yes.
    My children are very well behaved and I not only get many compliments on them, I have a few friends who ask me if my kids can play with their kids because they behave better around them! I don't actually remember the last time my kids had to be disciplined. I would never raise a child without it!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 1:26 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I agree. And I do it.
    michellelee3708

Answer by michellelee3708 at 9:11 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Cafe Cythia just did a blog about it this morning on the daily buzz.  I haven't had a chance to read the article yet but I'm curious as to what it says.

Cafe Jenn

Answer by Cafe Jenn at 9:12 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I can see the idea behind it.

the kids that are not disciplined and have the "best friend" style parents have no actual knowledge of how the world works and get disappointed when they don't get their way. Where as a spanked child knows right and wrong, and has no delusions that they can do what ever they want.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:13 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Here is the link to the article I was referring to.

Cafe Jenn

Answer by Cafe Jenn at 9:14 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Proper discipline will help your children to become successful adults, be it spankings, "time outs" whatever. As long as it is done consistantly and properly.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:22 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• i agree to the doing it when young. I wouldnt spank a child thats older
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:23 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• First off, they need to stop with all the spanking studies. The only way to prove anything would be to have cloned children raised in the exact same environment with the exception that some are spanked & others are not.

I do spank my children. I'm often contemplated on how well behaved they are, even when I think they are pushing it.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 10:12 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• i agree, and i practice. but i do not believe in beating kids.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 10:44 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I don't spank my son, I talk to him, and he knows exactly what's the difference between right and wrong.
    I am against any physical discipline, there are other ways of showing a child how the world works and discipline.
    It works just fine for us without any physical repercussions.
    BeaMoore

Answer by BeaMoore at 11:01 AM on Jan. 7, 2010