Eating Problems..Help Please!

My son shoves food in his mouth like he hasnt eaten in days. He'll shove anything till his cheeks are puffy. I've done everything, from limiting how much food is on his plate and to how big the pieces are and still he just shoves it all in. I want him to learn how to eat on his own but its to the point I have to feed him or he just ends up choking himself.

anyone else been threw this? Any Advice?? PLEASE!

SweetPoison

Asked by SweetPoison at 9:10 AM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'd just offer one piece at a time, wait for him to chew and swallow, then offer another. You can try putting 2 or 3 pieces in front of him at once every so often to see if he's outgrown this, but until he does, you'll have to regulate it for him if you can't talk him out of shoveling it in.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:34 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• my little one used to do that, when she would try that i would make her spit it out and i would throw it away, i would tell her small bites and if she didnt then she didnt get it. she is 19months i still have to watch her sometimes and remind her small bites.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:13 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• There are uncontrollable eating disorders out there like Pica and Pradar-Willi Syndrome. Google them. Talk to your pediatrician about it.
    texassahm

Answer by texassahm at 1:08 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• My daughter went throw the chipmunk phase, too. Thank G-d we took infant and child CPR. The phase only lasted for a few weeks.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:15 PM on Jan. 7, 2010