for those currently breastfeeding - do you drink coffee ?

i have 1 cup every morning- right after i breastfeed her.

SANDYCAT

Asked by SANDYCAT at 9:42 AM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When I wanted or needed coffee I'd go for decaf. My last month of breastfeeding I'd have a cup of caffeinated coffee every day 'cause I was slowly weening her so I was only really feeding her at night. I finished breastfeeding 2 weeks ago and am back to drink all the coffee, diet coke, sweet tea, ect. I want!
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 9:46 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Yes, I drink around 2 cups a day. They say that amount will not hurt them. You just don't want to drink coffee or caffeinated drinks in excess.
    NursyLori

Answer by NursyLori at 9:51 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Yes. Sometimes 1 cup, often times more. I'd say max would be around 5 cups, but not everyday. I never noticed any adverse effects with either of my children.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:25 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Absolutely not! They say no caffeine is best, and I usually don't drink much anyway, except in tea (when not nursing) but my daughter has a severe sensetivity to caffeine. I can't even eat chocolate!
    babyruby02

Answer by babyruby02 at 2:08 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• There is absolutely no problem with caffeine according to the American Academy of Pediatrics. To find out more go to google and enter breastfeeding and the use of human milk, you will find a policy statement by the AAP. Not only is caffeine not a no-no but women can smoke and breastfeed. Actually, it's even more important that smoking mothers breastfeed because it helps protect their child from infections that they are at increased risk. You can have a drink or two and don't have to dump and pump.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:26 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• YES IT IS MY ONE DOWN FALL. I HAVE TO HAVE MY MORNING JOE...BUT I ALSO HAVE 3 KIDS 4 AND UNDER SO COFFEE KEEPS ME AWAKE..
    MummyOf2ooo

Answer by MummyOf2ooo at 2:30 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Yep! I look forward to my 1-2 cups every morning! Most babies do fine with mom having a couple of cups a day. Some babies are extra sensitive to it, but most are not.
    Milk levels of caffeine are quite low (0.06-1.5% of maternal dose) and usually peak 1 hour after ingestion.
    Babies whose mothers avoided caffeine completely during pregnancy seem to react more to caffeine in mom's diet. Even if baby is sensitive to the caffeine now, he may not be when he's a little older -- so if you do have to stop or limit your caffeine intake, you can try again when baby is older.
    Also, there is no evidence that caffeine decreases milk supply. The myth that caffeine will decrease milk supply is widespread. Many moms consume caffeine, and it ought to be easy to document any adverse effects of caffeine on milk supply. No such effect has been observed, however, despite a number of studies.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:59 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I have my morning coffee (of diet coke) after I nurse my son in the morning. He doesn't seem sensitive to the caffeine, but if my supply seems to be dropping, I lay off the caffeine for a few days and drink tons of water and mother's milk tea! Then I return the the coffee:)
    TarraJoy

Answer by TarraJoy at 11:16 PM on Jan. 7, 2010