Why does my 3 month old chew on his hands and drool a lot?

I've noticed lately that my 3 month old will chew on his hands almost constantly while he's awake and he drools quite a bit. I was wondering if this could be a sign of early teething or what. He doesn't fuss while he's doing this. It's almost like it's just "comforting" to him.

NursyLori

Asked by NursyLori at 9:48 AM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It could be signs of teething, but most likely like you said, since he isn't fussing, he's just exploring with his hands. That's how babies explore by putting things in their mouths, so if he has a toy or something, he's probably going to put those in his mouth too.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 9:51 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I would say teething, my daughter started around the same age but she didn't get any teeth until she was 6 months and then not until she was 10 months lol. Just make sure you put a bib on him lol you'll have a lot of wet shirts. I would give him like a little teether toy to help him out a bit.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 9:57 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Teething. My son is doing that as well right now. He is teething.
    so1986

Answer by so1986 at 3:15 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• It could be. My son started that at two months as well as my friends daughter . she is seven months and has three teeth the first coming in at five months and my son at six months doesnt have any. It could go either way :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 4:19 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• It does sound like teething. It is also likely that it is just because he is 3 months old and that is what little babies do!! He found something great to suck on!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:52 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• yea i would say teething too my daughter started at 3 months and not 4 1/2 months with one throw the skin on it way up and the 2ND making it way throw the skin

honeyb690

Answer by honeyb690 at 7:30 PM on Jan. 7, 2010