Hispanics and other races

If you dont know how to speak spanish do people get mad at you? One time I was working and this white man spoke to me in spanish and I didnt undertand him, so I told him that and he said I should be ashamed of myself. Im like wtf i wasnt born in mexico my parents dont talk to me in spanish. Just curious if anyone gets crap to for not knowing how to speak spanish or chinese or whatever other language

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Just for Fun

• It's not me but I have a friend who is half mexican and it amazes me when we go out how many people try to talk to her in spanish but she just looks at them like their idiots and says "I don't speak spanish" in spanish. It's the only phrase she really knows. It is actually kind of funny to watch peoples reaction to that one.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 10:09 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• No I don't but I'm Italian. My husband is Puerto Rican an he is teaching our daughter Spanish now. I think nowadays it's good to know it. Does anyone in your family speak it?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Yeah my mom and dad know it but they never spoke it to me, so theres no way I could teach my kid.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Yeah I have gotten crap for it before. People ask me if I am hispanic (I am kind of pale). And I say yes I am part Mexican. They than start speaking spanish at me a million words a min. I had one person get so rude to me for not knowing spanish I went off on him and told him it was very close minded and raceist to think that because my grandma had sex with a Mexican guy some 45 years ago that I would automattically pop out knowing spanish.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• they just assume you do that's what's so rude if you have dark hair and eyes and skin omg you must be hispanic so then it's like I must speak spanish to you this is America this isn't a spanish speaking country I used to get that alot when I worked at walmart as a cashier and I hated it I was always asked do you speak spanish or are you hispanic? you tell them no and they still can't get it thru their heads you don't speak spanish so then they keep speaking it...I will admit I have dark hair and eyes and skin but I'm 100% American my husband is hispanic and he gets pissed off when someone just assumes because I am darker I speak spanish he gets offended but it's like Americans assume the same thing that you see them you assume they don't speak english instead of finding out ahead of time they do but people can be racist without even knowingit or realizing they're being racist..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I believe that you should speak the language of the country of which you reside in. With that said I also believe that it is important for you and your future generations to speak the "OTHER" language!
    Anonymous