Is it safe for my child to have 2% milk?

My son turned a year old a few weeks ago, so we're gradually introducing milk in his diet by mixing it with his formula. I know he's supposed to have whole milk, but my husband had to buy 2% because they were out of whole milk at literally every store he went too; I guess there's a shortage going on or something. Is 2% safe for my son to have if it's mixed with his formula?

shweeshwee9000

Asked by shweeshwee9000 at 10:12 AM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I was told not to mix anything with the formula. Yea, its fine for him. At my house my son drinks whole milk, but whenever he goes over to his grandmas she usually gives him 2% or soy milk. Its perfectly fine.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 10:16 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Yes it is safe. I wouldnt give it to him long because there are things in whole milk that are not in 2% but it will be fine for a short time till you can get to the store to get whole milk.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• its ok but whole milk is the best it will not harm him i gave my boys 2 % milk
    tryingmom203

Answer by tryingmom203 at 10:17 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• As far as Vitamin D in the whole milk that would be best for your growing boy but 2% will not hurt him to me it taste watered down milk...lol Just make sure you do put him on whole milk soon he will be fine with the 2%.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 10:17 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• WHole milk is best. Next time just get the whole.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:25 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• my doc said that bc of the overweight factor in the family genes we SHOULD give him 2% and as long as he gets food without restriction this is a good way to cut caloric intake in a child that could become overweight in the future. i trust my doctor and i have always fed him 2% milk. he's very smart and he's not overwieght. i have seen many kids his age that are and still getting whole milk!
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 10:40 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Thank you, everyone! He won't be having 2% for long, just until we can buy whole milk again.
    shweeshwee9000

Answer by shweeshwee9000 at 10:42 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I was told no 2% til they are 2....
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 11:18 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• it is my understanding that the only diff b/t whole and 2% is the amount of fat and calories. all milk has added vit d, they would put the same amount in whole, 2% and skim. the fats in whole milk is what the docs are looking for. you can give peanut butter or any nuts. My family doesn't do cow milk. I believe that humans are lactose intolerant, and our bodies react to milk with an inflammatory response, thus not getting any of the nutrients added during processing. Humans are the only animals that drink milk beyond the infancy stage, and the only animals that consume milk from another species. Milk is the #1 food intolerance/ allergen. Americans consume more dairy than people in any other country, and yet we have more osteoperosis (sp?) than any one else. Just something to think about. don't sweat over the 2% though!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:25 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• even WIC isn't offering whole milk after 1 yr or 2 yrs..... I don't remember, but yeah...... how much better could it be if WIC is making people switch to 2%......... I'm assuming it's because of obese children.... my son is a skinny butt, but WIC still wants me to give him 2%, and he just turned 2........ so maybe it is after 2 yrs.....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Jan. 7, 2010