Did you have to have a cerclage?

What is it like?
Does it hurt afterwards?
Did you get pain med to take at home?
I went to the Dr. yesterday and he said that I will have to have one due to my son being born at 24 weeks, and having an incompetent cervix. I am nervous about it. Thanks!

nakoal87

Asked by nakoal87 at 10:16 AM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Unfortunately, cerclage has not been shown to increase your chances of carrying to term. The idea is that it MIGHT help and we don't have any evidence that it will HARM, so why not try it? The downside is that it can give you false hope. If you're going to have a premature baby, chances are that the cerclage won't stop it. I'm sorry to tell you this.

Keeping pressure off of your cervix with bedrest has been shown to be much more effective.

That said, the procedure is pretty simple. I doubt that you will need a pain med for home use. It's an outpatient procedure, and I'm pretty sure they only give you a local anesthetic, because that's all that's needed. Your doctor may or may not also recommend bedrest as much as possible.

I wish the very best for you!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:24 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• My doctor said that in 30 years he has only had one patient that has had the procedure done and it did not work for her and they are pretty common, and while it is a simple procedure they give you a spinal block to do the procedure, not local anestesia... Just for the record... I talked to him about it yesterday but there were a few questions that I forgot to ask but I will be able to ask the 29th but I was just curious as to other moms' experience.
    nakoal87

Answer by nakoal87 at 10:32 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I had a cerclage when pregnant with my twins. I had to have it put in so that I could have surgery on the placenta. This was around 20 weeks. They were born through the cerclage which caused some damage...but they were still preemie...24 weeks. They only lived a few weeks. Looking back on it I think that complete bedrest would have worked better. I was told that I was not on bedrest, but to take it easy. They needed to put me on bedrest. I was on complete bedrest with the following 2 pregnancies and I got them all the way to 34 and 37 weeks! I took it seriously though, even with toddlers at home I STAYED LAYED DOWN as much as I could.
    onefootcutiepie

Answer by onefootcutiepie at 3:54 PM on Jan. 7, 2010