I accidently wrote a bad check....

Well it wouldnt have been bad becasue I wrote it over a week ago when there was money in my account. Because they waited to cash it, I just assumed it was already out when I got my total at the atm. It was returned yesterday, and more money was added yesterday, way more than that of the check. anyways, it was returned. What do i do? Will I be arrested?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Money & Work

• No, you won't be arrested. That only happens if you do it all the time. Whoever you wrote the check to will either contact you and ask you to issue another payment, or they will try to redeposit the check.

What you do is you make sure you have enough money in your account to cover the check, the bank's returned check fee and the returned check fee of whoever you wrote the check to. Then you make sure that your checkbook is completely balanced and up to date. NEVER rely on your balance at the ATM, because as you have seen, it can be off by a significant amount. Instead, write down how much money you have, and add and subtract as necessary to keep track of your balance yourself.

Don't worry, this happens to the best of us!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:33 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• you might get a fine for having a check bounce but you won't get arrested. Well you shouldn't unless the check was for something major
    Zacherysmommy08

Answer by Zacherysmommy08 at 10:30 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Well, I doubt it. It depends on how much it was written for. usually it will hit the bank several times to try to get the money. Do you have overdraft protection? Hot check writers are people who do it over and over again for thousands and thousands of dollars. Go talk it over with the bank and call the organization that the bounced check was sent to. Please don't worry yourself over ONE check.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 10:30 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• The company may charge you a returned check fee on top of what you owe them. Call them to say that you want to make good on the amount owed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I did get a fine from my bank. the ckeck was only for 28 dollars. Am i supposed to contact the business, or will they contact me?
    Anonymous

• So the compnay will just redeposit? The money is in there to cover it and the fess...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I wrote a bad check to walmart for $34. My bank account was closed and they never got their money. I was never contacted or pursued for the money. They just let it go. I wouldn't worry over $28 if I were you! Seriously!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• can i also add, that this check was written to a company that I got fired from on very bad terms. I just picture my old boss doing everything he can to get me in major trouble over this. Im terrified. lol....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• it happens no you won't be arrested unless you do it all the time you will have bank fees and the amount of the check that was written plust the company's returned check fee so ya you won't have that money I would jsut withdraw my money out of that account and start with a new bank or credit union so you can start keeping track otherwise you'll have to go thru all the months you haven't kept track to know how much is in your account.. like right now you could be at 0 and not even know if you're just paying attention to the atm stuff falls off when you use debit and it's like oh I have more than I did say a day ago when you really don't it will come back and post when you least expect it so I'd start keeping track if I were you..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• You will NOT get arrested or fined. The company and the bank will charge you an NSF fee for bouncing the check. Also, never assume a company or person is going to cash the check right away. They have 6 months to cash a check. It doesn't matter if you had the money in the account when you wrote the check, it only matters if you have the money in your account when it clears the bank. A debit card purchase can take up to 3 days to be withdrawn from your account. You do NOT need to close your account and start over, just BALANCE your check book and continue to do so every week. I do mine daily because I use the online statements from my bank, I know what is in my account at all times. If you don't understand how to balance your checkbook, then ask a personal banker at the bank and they will walk you through it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:58 AM on Jan. 7, 2010