How can I know how far along I am without getting an ultra sound?

I have researched a lot about ultra sounds and do not agree with them. They cause brain damage to the fetus. I do want to know exactly how far along I am though. Any ideas?

OrganicMomnDad

Asked by OrganicMomnDad at 10:29 AM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Pregnancy

• i don't agree with ultrasounds either. I was told to think of a due month rather than a due date. This takes away the pressure of time. people get confused though, when they ask when the baby is due and you say oh end of may, early june! Babies come when they are ready, and very few on their due dates.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:08 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• last menstrual cycle.... and go off that. other then that no idea. But I had about 12 ultrasounds and my son is fine. I had to have that many because of problems going on in the womb. Ultrasounds will tell you a lot about your baby, especially with development. I'm not bashing, cause I don't care if you have them or not :) I'm just saying from my point I'm glad i had them because they let us know something was wrong with my son's heart, and without them i don't know what would have happened to him
    Zacherysmommy08

Answer by Zacherysmommy08 at 10:34 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• That is why most women keep a calendar where they put a red circle around the first day of their period each and every single month. You can't know exactly anyway. Babies come when they come. Around 41 weeks and 1 day after your LMP.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I never had an ultrasound to determine how far along I was. My doctors always went by my LMP. I had 2 ultrasounds with my 1st child (one at 6 weeks just because and one at 20 weeks), 2 with my son (at 24 weeks and 37 weeks) and one each with my other 2 kids (at 25 weeks and 29 weeks, respectively).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:56 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• LOTS of women (most in the world through history and around the world today) never have any ultrasounds. It is always optional~ like everything else. ;-)
    I never had any with my pregnancies.
    You might like to use a care provider that does not use them routinely~ check into midwifery.

Have you been recording your cycle?
    Were you trying to conceive?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:58 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I was not trying to conceive and no I haven't been recording my cycle. I stopped keeping record of my cycle when I realized that it was completely random. It never came at the same time each month so I just waited until I felt the symptoms and went from there.
    OrganicMomnDad

Answer by OrganicMomnDad at 11:23 AM on Jan. 7, 2010