turkey bacon

ok, so i'm trying to eat healthier, and i'm really not a huge breakfast fan. though i think i'll start boiling eggs, bc its much easier for me to eat them that way. what i'm wondering is if i eat just turkey bacon for bkfst......maybe add a fruit....that should still be a good bkfst right? i'm good at healthy lunches/dinners but like i said, i dont usually eat a real bkfst unless hubby is home. lol its usually random stuff like left over pizza (its the best cold!) or ramen noodles, or a pb&j sandwhich......

AmandaN1

Asked by AmandaN1 at 10:29 AM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• You should try eating lots of protein. Turkey bacon and fruit is healthier than no breakfast at all. However you can go to GMC and by protein powder and you can make a really yummy breakfast shake. You can put fruit and everything in it. Im not a big breakfast fan either so that's why I make shakes.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 10:32 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Cereal (healthy cereal), turkey bacon, eggs, fruit, and such are great breakfast items. Just be careful with the Milk and juice. The juice needs to be 100% or it's not going to do anything for you.
    Zacherysmommy08

Answer by Zacherysmommy08 at 10:31 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Eating turkey alone is not a balanced meal. Eat boiled eggs with it plus a piece of fruit.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Well I cant stand milk alone, so unfortunately the only way i get it is choc milk lol but i do get 100% juice, bc i give it to the kids also. the shake idea sounds good, bc cereal does nothing for me either. i'm really not picky, just weird when it comes to bkfst! lol thanks ladies!
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 10:35 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Eating healthy to me is eliminating chemicals and processed foods. We prefer all natural bacon to turkey bacon. turkey bacon still has nitrites (nitrates?). Eggs have protein, and it is in the white if you are concerned about the cholesterol in the yolk. Oatmeal is a great breakfast, all natural or organic is better. My family doesn't do milk either. It is the #1 food allergen/ intolerance, it is not natural to drink milk as an adult, or to drink milk from another species. the goal to eat healthy is great! We tend to add good foods, rather than subtract junk foods. Eating 5 servings of veggies a day and 3 fruits a day makes it hard to have room for the junk. We really limit our juice as well, it has all the sugar and none of the fiber. Whole wheat bread or taoast with peanut butter is good for breakfast too!
    Good Luck!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:03 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• happy2bmom25: i like that idea of adding more healthy stuff. you have no idea how much sweets are here bc of the holidays!!!! i've been trying really hard to grab an apple or orange instead of that piece of pie....but doesnt always work! luckily my kiddos love fruit and veggies. well the three yr old would prefer 3 meals a day of mac n cheese, but doesnt get that lol. and he always has to finish his veggies b4 another helping of mac is served. juice i give to the 3 yr old but for some reason is gives my 13 month old the runs. yet he can eat tons of fruit and be fine....doesnt make sense to me! lol and ya i prefer whole wheat as well. even the taste to me is so much better!
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 11:27 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Lots of sodium and nitrates. What about whole grain toast and 1/4 of an avocado?

Answer by rkoloms at 1:07 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• the boiled egg is a good idea, the turkey bacon is not. Turkey bacon is still not that good for you. Granola, yogurt, make a quick smoothie with yogurt and frozen berries, that sort of thing is better.
    onefootcutiepie

Answer by onefootcutiepie at 3:46 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Just because it's bacon made from turkey does not make it good for you. In fact, if you look at the labels of turkey bacon vs. LOW SODIUM regular bacon:

Calories per slice: turkey bacon: 35 low sodium bacon: 35
    Total fat per slice: turkey bacon: 3 grams, low sodium bacon 3 grams
    Cholesterol: turkey bacon: 15mg. low sodium bacon: 5mg
    Sodium: turkey bacon: 190mg. low sodium bacon: 85mg

Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 7:36 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• the reason i eat turkey bacon isnt bc i think its that much better, we dont eat pork. our family follows the biblical food laws. ( i just realized no matter how i put it i sound defensive. and i'm really not!! lol just letting you know :-p )
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 8:44 PM on Jan. 7, 2010