Pregnant but no baby on ultrasound?

ok... I know this is going to sound very weird and yes, I am very nervous and freaked out but I took a home pregnancy test over a week ago and it came back positive. I started having mild cramping and very light spotting. So I called the doctor and they got me in right away. They gave me a pregnancy test, which came up positive and they said the cramping and spotting is normal. Then they went to do an ultrasound and they couldn't find anything in my uterus. They said it could be an ectopic pregnancy or it might just be too earlyt to see it. They gave me a blood test and according to the numbers I am only about 2-3 weeks pregnant??? How did my home pregnancy test show positive soooo early? Have any of you ever had an early ultrasound where they couldn't find a baby? What was your outcome? Did they find it in a later ultrasound? I am soooo worried!

Jen110786

Asked by Jen110786 at 10:42 AM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It's probably too early to see it. I as 6 weeks prego and they had some trouble finding my baby. 3 weeks is wayy early. Worrying is not going to do anything but stress out the baby. Go back in as soon as they let you and try not worry. It is still very early and you can't se the baby yet.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 10:44 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I had an ultrasound that they couldn't find the baby...... I had a miscarriage. And home pregnancy (especially the digital) have gotten very sensitive. So it could have read it. Other then that I have no idea what might be going on! I'll be praying for you!
    Zacherysmommy08

Answer by Zacherysmommy08 at 10:45 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Its probably ectopic- they'll find it between week 7-9
    as soon as implantation occurs a home pregnancy test can pick up pregnancy in concentrated urine it picks up the hormone HCG human choirianic gonadotropin-- excreted by all embryos-- and some rare tumors (very unlikely)
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:47 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• It is too early. Why would they give you an ultrasound this early? THis is why women stay so scared. I went to the er for back pain and to check if it was ectopic they did an ultrasound and nothing (not even a sac) was there. BUT I was only 5 weeks. two weeks later, we saw my lil baby and now I am 7 months pregnant with a girl. DON'T PANIC. it is way too early. 7 weeks is a good enough time to let your baby develop and pick up a heartbeat on ultrasound.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 10:47 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• "Its probably ectopic- they'll find it between week 7-9
    as soon as implantation occurs a home pregnancy test can pick up pregnancy in concentrated urine it picks up the hormone HCG human choirianic gonadotropin-- excreted by all embryos-- and some rare tumors (very unlikely)"

I don't agree with it is "probably" ectopic. I think it is too early. Well, I am positive it is too early to be seen on ultrasound
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 10:49 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• When I was five weeks pregnant they had a hard time finding the baby on the ultrasound. Well, there wasn't a baby yet to see is what they said. I guess I was just measuring 5 weeks with whatever they did see.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• They should be able to see something by the 5th or 6th week, so it really could be too early. It could also be an ectopic pregnancy as they suggested or it could have been a chemical pregnancy (very early miscarriage). WIth a chemical pregnancy you may continue to test positive for several weeks before your HCG levels fall back to normal. I hope your doctor has scheduled to follow up with you very soon. They can retest your blood in a couple of days to see if the hcG levels are rising appropriately to indicate a viable pregnancy. They still might not be able to see anything on an ultrasound, but if the hcG is rising appropriately then that is a very good sign. I hope you get your answers soon. GL!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Do you know what your numbers were? A lot of times when they say 2-3 weeks it actually means 4-5, since the first two weeks of pregnancy are actually not pregnancy at all, but the first phase of your menstrual cycle.

Ectopic pregnancies usually don't have numbers that double. They should be repeating your blood work 48 hours after your first draw to determine what's going on. If the numbers double it cuts the chance of ectopic. They should also have you scheduled for a repeat ultrasound a week from the first to see if they can find a sac. At 4 weeks pregnant there usually isn't anything to see yet. But at 5 there is usually a gestational sac.

Good luck, sweetie. It's probably just too early. Try not to freak out too much!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:00 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I think your fine!! Its just to early for them to be able to see it! Don't worry and happy pregnancy!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:06 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• all 3 of mine were the same they didnt see a baby on the utrasound with my 2nd they even wanted to set up a dnc and i told them no i wanted to wait a few more weeks i waited about 3 weeks and there she was and im now prg with my 3rd and the said your haveing a miscarriage ( i bleed on and off the first trimester) and i kept telling them im not i do this with all my pregnacys and 2 weeks later there was the baby on the utrasound im now 12weeks preg good luck im sure its just way to early
    klinemom2

Answer by klinemom2 at 11:29 AM on Jan. 7, 2010