What could it be?? I'm worried...

So I had my daughter almost 3 weeks ago. My check-up isn't until the end of this month... When I went into the hospital and was going over paper work with one of the nurses she told me I had had an abnormal pap. I freaked out because my mother has had cervical cancer three times. She told me not to worry about it, that it'd be taken care of later. I don't understand what it could be. I know for a fact it isn't an std, or a uti or anything like that. I don't have any strange discharge, nor a funky smell. Surely if it was something serious- they wouldn't wait 6weeks before telling me... would they? I'm starting to get really worried, but at the same time trying not to get myself worked up over it... Do you know what it could be? And why wouldn't they just tell me at the hospital? Why wait 6 (horribly long) weeks???

momma_marian

Asked by momma_marian at 10:45 AM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Health

• abnormal pap means damaged cells. this can happen after childbirth and after sex, and even after using a tampon (which you shouldn't do after birth).
    don't worry. they will probably look at it again. they are finding now that they have been over treating abnormal paps. they are finding that often times when abnormal cells are observed over time, the body will heal them on its own.

Enjoy your baby and nurture yourself! Eat lots of green food!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:52 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Six weeks is a long time for an abnormal pap. Things down there can change so quickly. I went from an abnormal pap to one stage away from cancer in three or four weeks. You need to find a doctor that cares about your health.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• i have had abnormal paps on several occasions and mostly due to the fact that their initial tests don't always reveal enough info. So, don't worry. It could be the changes in your body that are affecting your results.
    Anonymous

• HPV is the virus that they look for -- and like it or not that is an STD- some HPV turns your cervical cells cancerous MOST HPV does not your body will wash it away- they will do a biopsy if they are very concerned-- your recent pregnancy can efffect the results right now-- one of the best things you can do is breast feed your baby it decreases the likely hood of the HPV causing cervicle cells to turn cancerous-- the other thing to do is to investigate your partner- there are a few other ways to get it like improperly cleaned GYN office speculums but highly unlikely
    since youve been positive once you need to get your annual test every year without fail
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:55 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Melrn... I know I don't have an std, unless my SO cheated on me, which I know he'd NEVER do.... Thank you happy2bemom... That made me feel somewhat better.
    momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 10:58 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I have had abnormal paps before, and I also do not have HPV. You can have cervical dysplasia (damaged cervical cells) without having HPV.
    acollins09

Answer by acollins09 at 12:54 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I had an abnormal pap after my daughter was born. He said it could be from childbirth and he would redo the test. He did and it was fine. All since then were normal. I understand your worry but just ask for another pap in 6 weeks and go from there. Good luck!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 2:05 PM on Jan. 7, 2010