New at bookkeeping, need help knowing what to do and how to do it, any suggestions?

I am a on hands kind of a person.....need easy to understand language to learn.....somewhat computer illiterate and I need help. Did an accounting class about 12 years ago and scored well, but it has been a very long time since I exercised the skill....need a brush up lesson or two.....the easiest way to do it would be the best....I have an accountant doing the end part but I want to do the in between so we don't get charged as much this year. Thanks to all for your replies.

M.A.M.A.Mona

Asked by M.A.M.A.Mona at 10:48 AM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Money & Work

• Ask your accountant what they need from you. How you go about getting that info together really depends on how you plan to approach it and how much data you are dealing with. If you are using a computer program like Quickbooks you can set up accounts and record checks and deposits and assign them to the appropriate accounts (you can do this much like you would record checks and deposits in a check register). If you don't have much data you can just make lists of like items and subtotal the groups. If you have a lot of data or complicated data, then you need to get some guidance before you get too deep into it. GL!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I have over 20 years of accounting experience. Send me a message offlist if you have any specific questions.

Don't use quickbooks; it is too easy to delete entries in prior months, it is not true double entry accounting, the reporting is mediocre at best. Pick up a copy of Peachtree on ebay; you should be able to get one for under $20.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:04 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I work at a regional accounting firm and we use Quickbooks. We also have client who use quicken, peach tree and other software. What do you need to know? What software will you be using, if any?
    Anonymous

• edit: We use Quickbooks for the smaller clients. there is much better software out there, but of course cost is a big factor! :)
    Anonymous