Hives

OK - probably back in the beginning of October my five year old showed up with hives all over her body. She had gotten really hot - so we had thought it was a reaction from the clothes. No fever. No itching. I put some cortisone on her and we went to bed. The next day I gave her Benedryl in the AM. Sunday night we were in the ER - they said it was an allergic reaction to something. We followed up with her regular doctor and he said it was an allergic reaction to something. We followed up with a visit to an allergist who classified it as "hives of unknown origin." Something she was touching. Not ingesting. She gave her some daily meds to take. THEN the baby showed up with it a month later - BAD. I pulled the Downey and switched bath soaps. She still seems to have it - but I may not have gotten all her clothes washed in Dreft rinsed free of Downey. My question is has anyone had this problem with Tide or Downey?

augsmom

Asked by augsmom at 10:51 AM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Kids' Health

• i know someone allergic to tide and no other laundry det.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:53 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I've had it with both. I have exema so finding a detergent and body soaps that wouldn't cause a flare up or hives was hard. Try anything "free" or "free n clear" its supposed to be free of dyes, perfumes, harsh chemicals, etc. If that doesn't work take her back to a derm and let them know what you have tried and the results from trying the change. It may be body soap as well??? Try dove, ivory, or anti bacterial dial(these worked for me). Try the dial when she's around 10 or so, I started the antibacterial stuff when I was 15 and it helped my skin a lot in terms of aiding me in being able to use "regular" soap products, even detergents. I often still get itchy and have to take a super hot shower and benedryl for temprary relief(long enough to sleep). It sucks having senetive skin bu it can be maintained and eventually out grown!!! GL and I hope you both find your relief soon(your suffering right along with her cuz u cant hlp!)
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 11:01 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Try changing just one thing at a time. I'd start with the Tide. I've known several people allergic to that. Then go to dryer sheets, bath soap, shampoo, etc. But give each one a couple of weeks before you change the next. It may take some times but you will be able to pin point the source.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 11:04 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• My oldest dd, who is now 27, has always had very sensitive skin, especially when she was a baby. She was allergic to Tide.
    robyann

Answer by robyann at 12:18 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I break out in horrible hives from Tide. I have found that Purex, Era and Gain are the only laundry soaps that I can use.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:18 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• It could also be from something she is breathing. One apt that I lived in caused me to break out in hives. My dd had to take benedryl everynight or she would wake up with her eyes encrusted shut. I had never had hives before or after leaving there.

Once my ss broke out in hives bad after we had done a thorough cleaning of the house; dusting the tops of everything. Did the allergist order rast testing or skin prick?
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 12:47 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I'm just finding it strange that they both broke out in this one right after each other. I took the five year old off the bath soap and the Downey AND the meds - and she is hive free. The 20 month old is the one with it still lingering. It is mostly on her belly and her legs and NOT in her diaper area - which is why I'm thinking its the soaps. The allergist seemed to think that it wasn't anything that needed to put the five year old through all the testing. Sounds like Tide may be the issue. Going to switch back to Dreft for awhile with her. Poor baby. Thanks for all your suggestions. Otherwise, they have great, baby soft skin!!!
    augsmom

Answer by augsmom at 12:56 PM on Jan. 7, 2010