Ellen G. White

How important are the teachings of Ellen White to the SDA church?
How closely are her teachings followed?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• A prophet and leader of the SDA church. She is no longer living.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 3:05 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• A false prophet and false leader of the SDA church.

Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 4:02 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Apparently if they follow her stuff like mormons follow John Smith's stuff .. it is pretty important but doesnt make it truth or accurate.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 4:03 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I agree.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 4:27 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Sister White was a wonderful author whom many believed to have had a prophetic gift. As far as her importance to SDAism, it depends on each individual. I prefer to take Sis. White's advice and not give any of her writings an elevated status. Her position in the church is not on the level of John Smith at all. EGW was Sola Scriptura and only sought to point others to the Bible's Light.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 7:15 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

------------------
    What do you know about her? Have you read any of her writings? It's unfair to judge a person based on what you have "heard" about them.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 7:18 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

------------------------
    SDAs follow the Bible. Sis. White's writings are very helpful and instructive, but are not viewed as sacred text by most SDA's. I disagree with many of her teachings on family life,entertainment...but I have found value in some of those pages as well. I treat her work as I do any other Christian author's work--I take what I can use and leave the rest. This is my favorite quote of hers. It's truth is incredibly humbling--

"Christ was treated as we deserve, that we might be treated as He deserves. He was condemned for our sins, in which He had no share, that we might be justified by His righteousness, in which we had no share. He suffered the death which was ours, that we might receive the life which was His." ...Desire of Ages (can't remember the page)
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 7:41 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• To me I just find it a little hypocritical because many members of SDA are very literal bible followers and criticize everyone else for not following the Bible to the letter as they see it.  Whites  writings and prophecies are often highly regarded with many SDA and this is in contrast to how they talk to others.

Many critics of Whites work feel her visions were really seizures because she started having visions after a severe head injury and her facial muscles after the accident resemble someone with a right lobe head injury.  She has been accused of extreme plagiarism.  It is difficult to fully evaluate her writing because most are hidden away from the public.

SDA members and Ellen G.White writings speaks out against Catholics, Mormons, JW and everyone else who isn't a SDA member.  Members do not consider these as a attack, but bringing out the truth.  So don't  condemn me for doing the same. 
    Anonymous

• Shaneagle777

Apparently if they follow her stuff like mormons follow John Smith's stuff .. it is pretty important but doesnt make it truth or accurate.

I think you meant Joseph Smith.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 10:01 PM on Jan. 7, 2010