how do i get my 4 month old to nap

my DS is 4 months and typically a happy baby but wont nap for more than 20 minutes here and there. I have tried everything and I'm completely exhausted. He's not colic or anything just wont nap. I was curious on opinions of letting him cry it out for awhile. he gets exhausted but cant settle. Not trying to start drama just trying to see if I should let him cry for awhile. Ive tried putting him in his crib and rub his back, music, rocking etc..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My SIL's kids were like that. They would only sleep for 20mins. Not every baby sleeps for long periods of time. So are cat nappers.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• My daughter was like this, too. At 4 months she would sleep for 30 minutes at a time- you could set your watch by it. This was napping of course, not at night. At night she would usually go a few hours at a time and then wake to eat. By about six months she got into a better sleep routine and would nap for longer periods. We did do CIO around six months- or at least my version of CIO. At night time I would put her in her crib after the bedtime routine, usually still swaddled because she loved being swaddled, and I would set the kitchen timer for two minutes and go to her when it went off, rub her back or hold her for a few and then try again. At first I probably went in to her 8-10 times, then it was like 3-4 times, then I would set the timer to 3 minutes, etc. Within two weeks she was pretty good at falling alseep on her own. I think you have to go wtih your gut and see how your child responds. GL!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 11:52 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• That's normal, too. Your baby may sleep longer in a sling. CIO is never recommended for a baby this young. I don't think you should ever let a baby cry it out.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:21 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Normal. My first was like this... he stretched out a little at 7 months (to 45 minutes) and then again after a year (to 1-1.5hours). Now, if he happens to take a nap I can't get him up for hours!! (which means later bedtime, eek!).

Get a sling, he might nap longer in there... but really not much you can do. I don't see what CIO would accomplish at all except work him up.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:41 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• A sling is a great idea. If you want to put him down for his nap how about a swing? My baby loves to nap in her swing!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:51 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Rather than consider 20 minutes an "only" I'll shift the paradigm for you...he sleeps in the daytime for a whole 20 minutes at a time! Do you know how MARVELOUS that is?

Mine NEVER slept in the daytime. No naps, PERIOD. He'd conk out on occasion, but scheduled naps? Forget it!

Since yours DOES sleep for short bits and you're so tired yourself...lie down when he does. Bet he sleeps a bit longer when you're about rather than rattling around the house doing things that really can wait. (Yeah, that means housework! **smile**)

Answer by gdiamante at 6:25 PM on Jan. 7, 2010