how do i get my 4 month old to nap/letting baby cry

my DS is 4 months and typically a happy baby but wont nap for more than 20 minutes here and there. I have tried everything and I'm completely exhausted. He's not colic or anything just wont nap. I was curious on opinions of letting him cry it out for awhile. he gets exhausted but cant settle. Not trying to start drama just trying to see if I should let him cry for awhile. Ive tried putting him in his crib and rub his back, music, rocking etc..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Jan. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• Some baby's are just cat nappers.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• i couldnt figure out how to make a baby take a nap when they dont want to, my baby is almost 8 months and will just now go to sleep on her own. and you can try the cry it out thing.....i tried and it made me feel so cruel. she just screamed anyway. i would maybe lay down with her and stay laying down wit her,
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I would try tight swaddling, dark room, motion (swing), white noise... your baby's probably waking during a light phase of the sleep cycle; my daughter did this at 30 minutes on the nose for ages until she finally outgrew it. You may be able to go in there immediately to see if you can soothe him right back to sleep. 4 months is too long to leave him crying for a long period; you can wait a minute or two, though, to see if he's just fussing and will drift back off. That's NOT the same as crying it out -- some parents do respond too soon to a normal partial arousal when baby's just making a little noise.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:28 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I have to agree with the first poster... some babies are just cat nappers. At 4 months he is still figuring things out. Keep track of what time he falls asleep for a nap and how long they last for a week or so and see if there is any pattern to when he goes down. If there is, then maybe try putting him down a little before normal. Could be that he's getting over tired and doesn't sleep well. Then again maybe he needs white noise (fan on low or something) I am not a fan of cio but especially not in one that young. Babies have their sleep patterns for a reason and all cio really does is make him unhappy before sleep. Some docs believe that teaching a baby to sleep too soundly too young can actually be harmful because it teaches them to sleep through their own cues to wake if something is wrong.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I couldnt do the CIO. But sounds like your baby is setting himself up for a new routine in sleeping. Might just take both of you a few weeks to get resettled. Make sure it isnt any cold coming on, ear infections. (painful when they lay down) etc. That diaper is dry he is full with food and has been awake for at least an hour. Both my girls did that. I mean honestly it could be a NUMBER of things going on. Process of elimination. Getting used to you or daddy holding him, uncomfy blankies. Good luck. I know you are sooo tired.
    mommymeof2

Answer by mommymeof2 at 12:12 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Four months is much too young for CIO. At that age, my daughter napped best when I wore her.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:58 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Thanks for the input. I"m not a fan of CIO at this age either. He does has a double ear infection right now(been on meds for 4 days) but he's been like this for a few months. I do think he gets over tired and that may be the cause of some of it. I guess we'll just wait a few more months to see if he settles himself into a nap routine. He sleeps pretty much through the night so I guess I shouldnt complain too much lol. My other 2 were cat napers so I guess it runs in the family:)
    Anonymous

• Here we go again with the cry it out crap. He's a baby!! Do not let him cry it out, rock him, hold him, sing to him. This will not last forever. He may just not need long naps. Have you tried co-sleeping?? I'm not trying to be mean, but this is normal, many babies go thru it, CIO is not the answer, he is only 4 months old.
    Anonymous

• I rocked my baby to sleep and held her during naps. While it would have been nice to get things done around the house, but I enjoyed the snuggle time while baby was sleeping. It was sweet . . . and quiet!It's definitely too young for CIO. I don't do believe in the CIO method. I think it's sad really.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 4:47 PM on Jan. 7, 2010