quit smoking?????

i am a sahm and i am a smoker, my husband came to me 5 days ago and said i quit smoking and hasnt smoked in five days. i feel bad because he pays for them and i dont really want to quit. should i try anyway? i dont feel like i would be successful considering i enjoy smoking and dont want to quit. has anyone tried to quit when they were not ready? were you successful? how did you do it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Health

• i quit for my dh when we were dating. i knew i could never do it for myself and i was so glad someone finally came into my life that discouraged the smoking!!! it is so bad for us. we feel like it helps us cope, but physiologically, it does not. I ate a ton of candy my first week quitting, then just half a ton. i really had a lot of the cinnamon altoids! I had a hard time watching people smoke on tv, they really seemed to enjoy their cigarettes more than people in real life. I think you could do it! and it would help your hubby out too, not to mention save a lot of $. BTW, he doesn't buy them with his $, it is family $, just as much yours as his. We all have our vices, and we all use family $ for them.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 1:51 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• When I did not want to quite it never worked for me. It was not till I had two uncles have heart attacks and it was part of the reason they had them. That it really made me quite.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• It won't work if you are not ready and apperantly you are not. It would be detrimental for his wise choice to quit to see you still doing it. Try not to do it it in front of him.

Answer by older at 11:11 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• If ur still smoking and he's buying; then his quitting will be short lived. If u're not ready to quit then ask him for $, go get them urself and don't smoke around him, and smoking out doors helps in preventing smoke smells on you or ur clothes(its when you're i confined spaces that the smoke smell gets on your hair and clothes). Or you could support him and try to quit. I quit New Years at 12:05 am and haven't smoked since(I broke up half a pack and tossed them!), I got fed up with needing a crutch and spending money on them that could be spent more productively!!! I live in NY state so the cheapest a name brand pack would go for at a corner store is $7.50. And best of all I'm not standing outside in the cold, not to mention sparing my lungs and heart more poison. If you are not ready don't force it, but don't expect hubby to fight the urge while your still doing it. It'd be like drug adicts, 1 quits, 1 still uses, cant work
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 11:28 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• O my I'm a SAHM and a full time student and I smoke too.....I hate smoking but I know there's no way I can quit right now with the study load I have on my hands with school........

I don't think you should force yourself to quit...when you are ready ask your doctor for the right assistance.....That's what I'm going to do......I know I can't do it cold turkey....lol I may have a seizure!!
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 11:29 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• UGH!!!! This is my like I dunno fifth time trying. And I have NEVER gotten this far! Makes me proud and even MORE determined! Went from smoking 1 1/2 pks a day to smoking only 3!!!!! I was NOT prepared for the nasuea, dizzy, body aches. So be prepared. And I am not, a by the 3rd month I am done. I take it day by day. Keeping an eye on the "count" and that make sme feel GOOD about it. So dont set yourself up for failure. kwim? And the first day of cravings was HORRIBLE! So far since that day was over, I am controlling it without to many issues, I say, in a minute to myself. And also I take deeeeeep breaths and blow them out like I would a drag. Sounds odd but REALLY helps me. I dont know if I will quit this time, its HAAARRRDDDD. BUT I do know I am doing great. And tomorrow I will STILL do great. Day by day.
    mommymeof2

Answer by mommymeof2 at 11:43 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• You can't quit until YOU are ready, it is very hard, for some of us, and you have to really really want it. I am currently "wanting" to quit. I have cut down by about half and I am proud of myself for that, but my dh doesn't seem to be as proud. He quit years ago and is on me about it all the time. Him pressureing me is only making me want a cigarettte! lol I am going to try Chantix, I have know a few people who have quit using that.
    robyann

Answer by robyann at 12:10 PM on Jan. 7, 2010