What can I do to make him eat?

OK...my son is now just over six months old and I have started (or am trying) to introduce food into his diet. I have him on baby cereal right now but I have also tried mashed potatoes...both are made using my breast milk. The problem is that he just gags and spits it out. He refuses to eat anything. He even gags if I try to give him water. The kid just hates anything that is not my breastmilk. What can I try to help him eat?

jessflynn

Asked by jessflynn at 11:32 AM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yeah, what the PP said, he's just not ready. and thats ok. up until 12 months, solid food is just kinda like practice and their main nutrition is still coming from breastmilk, or formula. dont push him to eat, or he might get a bad first impression of food and fight you harder next time.

give it a couple of weeks and try again.
    LKLMommy

Answer by LKLMommy at 11:37 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• he isn't ready yet. Give it some time and try again. Don't force it.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 11:34 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• wait some time, give it another 3weeks and start over, plus water is thin he may choke a bit but with cereal keep trying but give it a few weeks
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 11:39 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Try again in a couple of week. Solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know little about).Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many now recommend skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    Two great books /websites on feeding babies, with differing philosophies, Baby Led Weaning www.babyledweaning.com and Super Baby Food www.superbabyfood.com You should be able to find them at your local library

Answer by rkoloms at 12:52 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• He isn't ready. 6 months is not a magic age where they are all ready to eat solids. My kids weren't ready (showed the same signs as yours did) until they were both around 9 months. Just keep trying every couple weeks. I also followed Baby Led Weaning and it was great. No purees here!
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 1:39 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• This isn't really a problem. He'll eat when he's ready. Try again in a few weeks. My son wasn't interested in eating on a daily basis until 11 mos old.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:47 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• Babies don't need to be fed baby cereal or baby jar food. No one recommends feeding mashed potato as a first solid.

Banana, sweet potato, or avocado are good first solids. Mash a little with a fork, put some in front of the baby, and let the baby feed himself.

www.kellymom.com is a good breastfeeding website with info about starting solids with lots of links.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:18 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• he is still very young and may not be ready for foods. My 9 month old BARLY eats any food and is bfed. Just keep nursing your little one will eat when he is ready..have you looked into baby led solids
    MummyOf2ooo

Answer by MummyOf2ooo at 2:35 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• He doesn't hate it. Gagging is a reflex indicating that he's not yet ready. Wait another month and try again. And skip the cereal. It tastes terrible and has no nutritional value and is veyr constipating.

read this:   http://www.borstvoeding.com/voedselintroductie/blw/engels.html

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:39 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• He is not ready yet!
    "Babies who are ready for solids can usually feed themselves. Mothers often report that they knew their babies were ready when they picked up food from a plate, chewed it, swallowed it, and wanted more.

Listen to your baby! Babies with a tendency to allergies may refuse solids until later in their first year. As long as they are growing well and are happy and healthy, there is no need for concern."
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:50 PM on Jan. 7, 2010