The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to set the oppressed free,

What do you make of this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Jan. 7, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Is that a scripture? If so, where is it? Thanks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• It's Jesus recorded at Luke 4:18 quoting from Isaiah 61:1: "The spirit of the Sovereign Lord Jehovah is upon me, for the reason that Jehovah has anointed me to tell good news to the meek ones. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to those taken captive and the wide opening [of the eyes] even to the prisoners......."

Luke recorded Jesus drawing his ministry commission in specific terms from Isaiah.
    JWMum

Answer by JWMum at 11:41 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• sorry anon it is Luke 4:18

See to me this is one of those scriptures than be used in many situations on many different issues.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• It is a beautiful Messianic prophesy from Isaiah!!!
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 11:53 AM on Jan. 7, 2010

• explain more cinamon mom if you will. I am just learning the bible.
    Anonymous

• Isaiah 61 is where the scripture is...
    It is a prophecy about Jesus and what He was anointed to do on the earth. It also upon every believer in Jesus.
    Jesus quoted that passage that marked the beginnings of His ministry here on earth.
    It blew the religious leaders away and cause awe to fall upon the Jews.

It is one of my favorite passages and a reminder of what my calling is on this earth.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:10 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• oh and one more thing...
    poor is not necessarily talking about without money but about without Him, prisoners does not necessarily mean in a physical prison but means a spiritual one. recovery of sight to the blind also means those blind to who Jesus is and the oppressed are those oppressed by the enemy needing freedom. The passage is allegorical and literal. :-)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:13 PM on Jan. 7, 2010

• I see it as yet another biblical error. Service to god is slavery, complete with chains and restrictions of all kinds. God's favorite words have never been "Thou shalt" but only "Thou shalt not!" Thou shalt not let others live in peace and follow their own paths. Thou shalt not mind your own business alone, but that of everybody else on the F-ing planet. Thou shalt not disobey my commands or be consigned to hell and NO excuse will suffice to keep you from this psychotic doom. Yes. A LOVELY religion (sarcasm).
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 1:39 PM on Jan. 8, 2010

• That was the reading from Isaiah that Jesus read in the temple, just before He let them know that on that day, the prophecy was fulfilled.

Oh, BTW...service to God is NOT slavery. It's freedom. A loving God giving commandments to His children, which science and medicine have proven OVER AND OVER that it's in our best interest to take His advice. A loving God giving us the ultimate gift of eternal life, at the ultimate cost. It IS a lovely thing. (No sarcasm at all.)
    GoodMomma24-7

Answer by GoodMomma24-7 at 6:19 PM on Jan. 9, 2010